Topic

Hitchhiking from buckeye trailhead to twin lakes? (hoover wilderness)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hitchhiking from buckeye trailhead to twin lakes? (hoover wilderness)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am planning a trip out of Twin Lakes into the Hoover Wilderness. It would be nice to exit out of buckeye creek so I’m not backtracking on the same trail. Also I really don’t want to road walk. What is the likelihood of hitching a ride back to twin lakes? Are those well traveled roads?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

Buckeye doesn’t get a lot of traffic…I would imagine that your chances are good if a car goes by, but that’s not a popular trailhead, simply because it’s a long walk before you get to anything interesting.  There won’t be a lot of cars.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Thanks for the reply Paul. I will skip that idea. Do you have any recommendations on places to see in that area?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

It’s a steep climb up to Peeler Lake on the first day, but after that Kerrick Canyon is lovely, so is Matterhorn Canyon to the South.  Crown Lake is beautiful.  Robinson Lakes have a wonderful sort of infinity pool look to them from the west side.

And Slide Canyon sees very few visitors.  If you want solitude, take a look at that.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Crown Lake on the first day, then keep ascending over Mule (or is it Burro?) pass and continue to the alpine meadows beneath the Sawtooth range. this whole hike is spectacular. I usually continue on and do the Benson Lake loop. If you don’t have time for that, you can backtrack to just above Crown lake and then take a trail up to Kerrick Canyon and finish at lovely Peeler lake–a semi loop.

Another off trail possibility is to go to the start of Kerrick Meadows and leave the trail, going over the first ridge and proceeding down the next canyon.

Bears at Twin Lakes are notorious for breaking into cars, so be advised about leaving food in your car.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I was thinking twin lakes to peeler lake, looping around through kerrick meadows to snow lake, over mule pass and heading straight down little slide canyon. Any camping possibilities at maltby or ice lakes? I’m trying to keep it easy on this one and get some good fishing in. Heading out tomorrow morning and coming back saturday.

I have looked at doing the benson lake loop buts its a bit too far for me in time frame considering I have a rough time with elevation. Some other time though.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools