Topic

Hip belt rubbing the back of my shirts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hip belt rubbing the back of my shirts

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

Anyone else have this problem? I have recently used my brand-new Zpacks Arc Blast 55L for the first time and got my two shirts rubbed by the inside belt stitching area after a 4-days backpacking trip. One of the areas shown on the photos were torn out. When I took a look at the inside material of the belt, the stitching area was found to be quite rough. I have been using other backpacks like the Gossamer Gear Mariposa and HMG Windrider 2400 on me wearing the same brand shirts and the pants and never gotten such issue. Should I consider this problem as normal wear for most of the backpack products in the market? I only have a reference for those three company products and have first been experiencing the product quality issue. I am not happy with the situation because I lost my shirts and found no solutions. It would be great if anyone suggests any thoughts or solutions for it. Thank you.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

You may want to contact customer service.  They are very good at addressing issues and should offer to exchange the hipbelt if it is defective. The hipbelts are very easy to change out.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

There is supposed to be friction between your belt and your cloths… otherwise the belt slips below you hips and the weight in on your shoulders. (at least that’s what happens with my minimal hips) Tuck you shirts into your pants and the pants, which are tougher than shirts, will hold up better from belt friction than you shirts do…

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

^Really? My shirt is what’s supposed to hold my pack up?

Don’t think so…

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

The photo in the OP looks to me like the hip-belt stitching may be uneven and/or not be properly done.  Does the problem area look/feel different than the same area at the other end of the belt?  The stitching on my Arc Haul belt is very even and soft.

Another option that will both address the reported issue (by covering the problem area of the belt) AND improve comfort is to add the optional lumbar pad.  I find this addition to be such an improvement in comfort as to be practially a required add-on.

DWR D – you may have self-identified the issue with your pack fit…minimal hips :)

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

I have that problem with OR echo shirts and ULA type hip belts. To me, that is just the shirt wearing out.

In your case, I think there could perhaps be an issue with the stitching causing different friction points and prematurely destroying your shirt, as others and yourself have mentioned.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I’ve had that happen on one shirt

Maybe it’s just that particular shirt fabric, not strong enough for the abrasion from the pack

and yes, the shirt holds up the weight of the pack, if it’s between the hipbelt and you : )

Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

Thank you for the information. To the end, I’ve contacted the Zpacks customer service and I was told that they will send me the replacement once I return my backpack. In fact, I have had the same issue on one of the shoulder straps. The issue on the hip belt is more severe. I will see how they work and keep you posted how the replacement works. Thank you.

Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

@DWR D, Thank you for your input! That’s a great point. I will try out. I usually leave my shirts out of the pants and have had no issue with my other gears like the Mariposa and the Windrider 2400. Thank you.

Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

@JCH, You seem to catch up the exact issue I’ve faced. I see that the stitching areas for the inner padding surface are quite hard and rough like Scotch-Brite brush. I usually feel soft and comfy on the shoulder straps and the hip belt of my other backpacks although the cushioning is slightly different. This is not acceptable for wearing multifunctional fabric clothes. I don’t want to get more of my clothes torn off. I am going to see how the replacement works. Thanks.

Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

Thank you Eric for your input. The stitching areas of the shoulder straps and the hip belt of my backpack that is one of the Zpack’s production batch created the issue. I will update how the replacement works.

Byung Park
    BPL Member

@papiyung

Jerry, thanks for sharing your thought. I have been wearing a couple of the same brand shirts and putting the Mariposa and the Windrider on them and never experienced such issue. The minor abrasion might be reasonable, but my case is obvious and not acceptable, in comparison with other backpacks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools