Topic

Hilleberg Niak – a lighter version?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Hilleberg Niak – a lighter version?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Reto Baumann
    BPL Member

@rbaumann

Hi all

I’m planning my next trip to the Canadian Rockies and the Scandinavian national parks. In the past for 3-season use in remote ares I’m quite a fan of the Hilleberg Niak – solid enough and for a Hilleberg quite light.

Due to the fact that I travel with trekking poles and the urge to go lighter (i.e. reduce the weight on my back) I’m considering adding a tent to my collection. Any thoughts on the wind stability of the Niak compared to the following “short list”? Any recommendations to add to the list if I’d like a “generous 1-person tent” suitable for a guy of 184 cm (6″ and a few):

• Dan Durston Xmid 2p or Xmid 2 (in general a big fan of DCF due to the fact of not absorbing water – but tend to go for a double wall tent)
    • Tarptent StratoSpire LI (a bit on the large side, not a huge fan of the struts and the fact it fits weirdly in my pack)
    • Tarptent Dipole 1 (or 2)

Thanks for your insights
    reto

Christopher S
    Spectator

@chrisisinclair

All three of those would probably be good (especially with semi solid inners)

I would also say to consider pyramids with more than 4 sides – you get many of the same benefits as the two pole mids (smaller individual panels, steeper wall angles, still adequate wind shape) such as the Seek Outside Silvertip. They also make two pole mids like the Eolus/Silex as well. Or the (I believe discontinued) MSR Twin Sisters which has snow valences sewn on.

Another option are single skin mountaineering tents such as the Big Agnes Shield line or the Rab Latok line. And I personally also really really like what Slingfin is doing – they have some epic tent designers – internal guylines really do work in bad conditions and I highly recommending using them on any shelter and adding internal guy out points if your shelter does not have them. You can just sew loops onto the same exact spot the external guy out points are sewn to except on the inside.

Also there are many different semi solid inners on aliexpress you can mix and match with various shelters like the Gatewood Cape or if you want to use a small semi solid inside something like the above Silvertip. For group trips I often do Silvertip + dig out the snow below the canopy so that everyone can stand inside the shelter and then also dig out “couches” where people can sit or someone can setup a bivy or sleeping bag to sleep.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

internal guylines really do work in bad conditions
    Repeat several times.

Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools