Topic

Hiking the Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail: Trial and Tribulation in Ontario, Canada

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hiking the Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail: Trial and Tribulation in Ontario, Canada

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Leanne Hennessy
    BPL Member

@annie

Locale: Southwestern Ontario, Canada

Companion forum thread to: Hiking the Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail: Trial and Tribulation in Ontario, Canada

The Ottawa-Temiskaming Highland Trail is one of Ontario’s best-kept secrets. It is at once more rugged than the LaCloche-Silhouette Trail in Killarney

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

Awesome trip report.  That ones going on the to do list.  I keep wanting to get up that area.

Thanks for taking the time to share that with us.

Doug Hus
    BPL Member

@doug-h

Locale: Ontario. Canada

Excellent trip report. I’ve been canoeing for years in Temagami and have been planing on the OTHT for a while now. It’s now firmly on the list. Love the Hip reference.

Doug

Anthony Meaney
    BPL Member

@ameaney

Locale: Canada

I also met Andrew on this trail. He said you made him fish tacos. True??

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Great trip report. When I first read the way you described this trail, I honestly thought you were exaggerating…until I hiked this beast. It almost killed me :)

I made a video for my 5 day trip along the OTHT for those interested.

https://youtu.be/K2QLWOpKpLs

It is a true wilderness challenge for those who undertake it!

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Thanks for an entertaining read! I loved the part about the horseflies… sorry they bit you but the way you wove the tale was pretty funny.  In northern Maine we have TONS of horseflies and a few of their subspecies… One of which we locals call Moose flies.  They are horrendously large and look as if they are wearing black and grey striped sunglasses, one of the only bugs I will swat because of the pain inflicted when they bite… we also have Deer Flies which are kind of orange striped in color but much smaller, their smallness does not equate into a less painful bite though, ouch!

also liked the part about your trail angels and the help they provided.  Folks from Canada have always been super nice in my experience hiking and camping on Cape Breton.  So nice one couple offered me their front yard right in front of their house when i needed a place to camp for the night. Roadside kindness is something that seems to dissipate exponentially the closer you get to cities.

Rest In Peace Gary Snyder…

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

So glad I found this trip report!  I’m moving to Ottawa next summer and trying to figure out what my backpacking options are going to be.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools