Topic

Hiking the AT in Shenandoah National Park in winter with a 7.6 lb BPW (+ camera)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking the AT in Shenandoah National Park in winter with a 7.6 lb BPW (+ camera)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

This week I completed a 62 mile section hike in SNP on the Appalachian Trail.  I plan to do a full gear breakdown as soon as I have a chance.

If you want to watch a 4 minute cinematic style montage video of my hike, go here:

YouTube video

Here’s my full gear list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hkBRe11hsYuuvvR3Xx6IZyWLtgmWhaxTjGr5LLgz8Os/edit?usp=sharing

A few key observations post-hike:

• My base weight on the trip was 7.6 lbs + camera gear (around 2 lbs)
    • Daytime temps were 30s-40s F and nighttime temps were damn cold (probably teens to low 20s)
    • The Xtherm is a necessity for these kind of trips, I’m glad I bought one and brought it
    • Down booties help, but toes are still numb if you’re out when your water bottle starts to freeze
    • Keep your water bottle in your bag if you want to have drinking water the next day
    • Actually, keep everything in your bag like electronics if you want the battery to last at all
    • My camera doesn’t seem to take a charge below freezing
    • Microspikes are super helpful for most of the AT in winter when it’s more likely to have slippery ice than deep snow (I used the Snowline Chainsen City and 2.5 oz they are not perfect but worked well)
    • The Zpacks 10 is probably not a true 10 degree bag, more like a 20 F bag for me

That’s it for now, stay tuned for a full gear breakdown video hopefully in the near future…

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I did this section in winter with my son, who was thru hiking. Nice easy walk for sure.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Nice video,  yoyo!  So you decided to take the Xtherm over the Synmat HL winter we discussed last month.  Was it the R-value per ounce that was the deciding factor?  Did you find it to be comfortable enough for you?

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

@Dondo Thanks! Yeah the Synmat HL winter never showed up haha.  I need to check on it–it shipped from Canada somewhere.  I found the Xtherm pretty comfy actually and will probably return the Synmat HL winter when it arrives.  At 15.2 oz, it’s around the same weight as my Exped Hyperlite MW and much warmer.

That said, I did get cold the last night when it probably dropped into the teens (I’m a cold sleeper).  Likely because I didn’t inflate it all the way (lesson learned) and also I had a draft coming into my tarp while camped on a ridge.  In the future, I’ll put my tarp to the ground and fully inflate my pad and I think I would have been fine.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Thanks for the video.

Not impressed that you hiked in shorts in the southern Appalachians in winter. That’s just silly.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Eric,

How so silly? My layering system for winter: baselayer bottoms (Smartwool in this case), running shorts, and windpants / rainpants.  Shorts only if it’s sunny and temps are mid 40’s F and higher.  Once it drops down to around 40 F, I’m usually keeping my baselayers on underneath shorts (PCT style).  If it’s windy or extra cold Montbell windpants go over these 2 layers and if I’m expecting rain then rainpants come along.

I personally just don’t find pants really useful nor comfortable year round, but that’s just me.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

I personally just don’t find pants really useful nor comfortable year round, but that’s just me.

You and me both, buddy.  I get a lot of weird looks on the trail from people that are wearing pants when it’s 40° outside, but I seem to generate so much heat that I don’t even want to think about donning long pants until it’s COLD.  I’d be drenched in sweat.  There have been plenty of times – especially on calm days with little wind – when I’ve been in shorts and a t-shirt going up a long hill in the Appalachians in winter.

Enyaw
    Spectator

@enyaw

Nice video…some cool shots.  Winter is best time in Shenandoah.  Shorts caught my attention too.  You’re tougher than  me.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

I can walk bare chested [ or more probably UL base layer only] in those temperatures so long as the wind isn’t blowing but I need long pants when it’s cool. We all have different needs and as we age our needs change. I can’t walk as fast as I used to so I produce much less heat these days.
    I checked out the gear list, was that SUL for the trip and cutting the safety margin and on the edge or was it just enough even if you slept cold? You say the sleeping gear wasn’t quite enough; what would you consider adding to give you that extra 10 degrees? UL down pant? A warmer down jacket or a parka with attached hood? UL synthetic over quilt or just a warmer quilt?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Nice kit! l How’d you like the peloton? I’ve found it annoying to pull on over almost any version of t like a cap 1 but then once I get it on and adjusted it is so flexible that it’s super comfortable. Any sign of wearing by the pack or did you have the windshirt on often?  Might not be enough below @ freezing depending on wind and amount of heat generating work.

With you on the shorts w/wind pants. It’s enough if you’re moving to @ freezing anyway. Depending on wind and humidity if it’s calm and 50ish I can drop the wind pants.

You carry any dcf tape? Works on a lot of stuff.

I also really like the little photon microlights but seems everyone else favors the headlamps.

Nice report and list. I saved it for referral and you know what they same about the sincerest form of flattery!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Well Yoyo, if you are truly comfortable in shorts at 40 F. then HYOH. As Ed John said, we’re all different. I’d be wearing nylon cargo pants at those temps.

Yeah, when I was a Nordic ski patroller and XC racing I wore a Lycra one-piece suit over medium base layer and was OK to 10 F. But I  was also moving at never less than 75% effort. And I was also in my 30s and 40s, not 77 like now.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools