Topic

Hiking shorts vs…?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking shorts vs…?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

So i have been using Columbia convertible pants/shorts for all of my hikes but wish there was more room for my quads. I have tried running shorts and I love those…..lighter, more room…. but they dont have zippered pockets (I use the convertible pants pockets for phone’s camera, keep stuff I find on the trail, snack trash etc and put wallet in when coming into town).

I have though maybe to running shorts I could add a waist pouch but….

curious on your suggestions on this conundrum?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

I hate using pockets while hiking. Useful around camp for a temporary spot.

I prefer hip belts and should straps. I also have used hiking shirt chest pockets but really depends on the item if it’s comfortable.

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

I’m with Paul on this one, so I’M not sure if I can give you the answer you’re looking for.  I try to avoid having anything in pants pockets even when I have them.  Other than a wallet, eventually anything else starts to annoy me after a few hours of walking.

But if all you’re asking is “are there lined athletic shorts that have cargo pockets” then the answer is yes. Or were you asking something else?

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

1. Patagonia sells the Strider Pro shorts with tons of waistband pockets. Most aren’t zippered, but you won’t lose anything out of them. The rear center pocket is zipped. Pocket lie flat when not filled.  My favorite running shorts, but haven’t tried them with a backpack.

They also sell sell the Nine Trails shorts with zippered front pockets. I’ve only tried them on and remember not being a fan, but can’t remember why not.

Ive got a pair of Salomon Float shorts with deep zippered front pockets. These are unlined shorts. Probably the most appropriate for backpacking of the three I’ve listed here. They’re long.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

ok thanks

Aubrey J
    BPL Member

@aub

Check out the Fjallraven Abisko. They are more for trekking and will fit thicker leg sizes. They have zippered pockets and lots of utility.

https://www.fjallraven.us/products/abisko-shorts

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

I like the suggestions keep em coming.

Also, Im not against hiking shorts but would pref a tad shorter in lenght with room for my quads,

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

If you do feel ok with runners shorts I concur with the Strider Pro’s.

These are the 5″ versions, but you have longer ones (7″ or 9″) too. The pockets in the new ones are a bit bigger even. I don’t normally have this much stuff in them, but this was totally fine especially for hiking. Still had room to spare actually for a phone or more food or buff etc.

I actually prefer to put my heavier items like a phone or camera in pockets around my waist. I used to have hiking shorts with ‘cargo’ pockets ( I mean on the side of your quads) and it wasn’t a huge problem but I prefer my stuff not banging into my legs with every step.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

DULUTH TRADING sells various types of cargo shorts, from all cotton to cotton blend to all synthetic.

And they are all excellent quality and all have their FOM (Freedom Of Movement) crotch gusset. (Unlike a cheap hotel the do have ballroom.;o)

mike p
    BPL Member

@mike-plowright-2

I’m super happy with my Patagonia Strider Pro 5″ shorts paired with my Lukes Ultralight Argon Wind Pants. 4.4oz total for both, 2.7 on the shorts and 1.7 on the pants.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Been wearing Patagonia Baggies with a 5″ inseam for over 30 years. I like pockets and these are deep reaching to the bottom of the hem line. Back pocket can hold a wallet and has a snap closure flap. I cut out the liners in deference to Fletcher’s 2nd Law of Thermodynamic Walking.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I’m not sure you’ll like my answer, although there are men that do.  I wear UnderArmor running shorts, or Running Funky spandex shorts, with the Purple Rain Hiking skirt over it for ventilation, modesty and….POCKETS.    Last summer she introduced a kilt, that has nice large pockets as well, targeted towards men.  It has a snap conversion that makes it into shorts for around town.   Plenty of room for quads in a kilt!

Nicholas C
    Spectator

@nick_vt

I like hiking in a patagonia bathing suit. It doesn’t have zippered pockets but like other people I don’t carry stuff in my pockets.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools