Topic

Hiking shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking shoes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Hey everyone,

As many of us gear up for the 2019 season, I figured I’d get your opinions on hiking shoes. I’m in the market for a shoe that is a low top and has some form of waterproofing. I know that trail runners such as ultra’s or Brooks are becoming the thing, however I’m in need of something that is a bit more rigid.

I’ve had Salomon Ultra 2 low & mid in the past, which were great.  I went with the Salwea Wildfire’s last year and they ended up giving me knee problems.

Thinking between Salomon or North Face..

Please share any thoughts you have.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

The first thought I have is, Why waterproofing?  Your feet sweat.  You walk through wet grass in the morning and streams all day long.

If I walk the dog for an hour, on a 18F day, on the snowy, wet beach in front of my house – yeah, waterproofed low-cut shoes may be the thing to wear.

But when it’s above freezing?  When I’ll be hiking all day long?  I go with the best ventilated shoes and the most quick-drying socks.

I do agree with low-cut shoes whenever I can use them, which, even here in Alaska, is most of the time.

I also agree with the right amount of the stiffness.  For me, anything works for 10 miles in a day.  Form 10-20 miles, it needs to have some stiffness of a lot of cushioning.  Over 20 miles in a day, it needs to have a reasonably stiff sole or my foot feels beaten-up at the end of the day.  The Salomons and a pair of Merrill’s (not sure of the model) have been working well for me.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I am also wondering why you would want waterproof shoes, here are some articles by Andrew Skurka

Minimizing the effects and aftermath of wet feet .

Why “waterproof” shoes will not keep your feet dry .

Complete failure: I gave “waterproof” Gore-Tex hiking shoes a second chance .

Do you have some sort of foot issue that requires you to wear stiff shoe? What do you wear on a normal day?

Lance
    Spectator

@geaulite-2

Thanks for the insights. I’ve never had an issue with my foot getting too hot or sweaty before. I mostly have GTX to keep out little puddles and such. It also seems to help keep dust and sand out of the shoes but I could be wrong.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools