Topic

Hiking clothes for 20-40 degrees

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking clothes for 20-40 degrees

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Thomas Hood
    BPL Member

@attom

Hello- planning to hike this weekend. Days will be in the 20’s when starting out and get up to about 40.

Planned clothes:

UA t shirt

100 weight fleece 1/4 zip

montbell windshirt

fleece cap

darn tough wool socks

trail runners

My main conundrum is should I wear nylon trekking pants or tights and shorts?

at what temp are nylon pants alone not enough and you have to add long underwear?

any other critiques are welcome!

Thank you,

Tom

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

20 – 40 degrees, I have hiked in Patagonia silk weight base layer and a pair of light weight running shorts over them. I was fine. I tend to run warm.. So take it with a grain of salt.

I have also hiked in a pair of marmot scree soft shell pants in those temps.. Which had me very warm on my climbs.. But cozy and comfy while hiking at a leisurely pace, across the peaks, and on breaks.

The question you asked is tough to answer because everyone is different..

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Either pant set-up would serve me well in the 30’s.  I suspect prolonged hiking in the 20’s would push me to wear both tights and nylon windpants (but I use very light windpants and tights).  Hope it helps.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I would add a neck gaiter. I find them very warm and, excepting a hat, it is the easiest thing to adjust as you get warmer. I would also have my base layer be long-sleeved because when it gets warm, I’ll still want something over my arms even after I’d set aside the windshirt and fleece.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools