Topic

Hiking Big Bend Ranch State Park: Rancherias Loop Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hiking Big Bend Ranch State Park: Rancherias Loop Trail

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Companion forum thread to: Hiking Big Bend Ranch State Park: Rancherias Loop Trail

The Rancherias Loop Trail in Big Bend State Park is one of the last wild places in West Texas. With few visitors and stunning scenery, it is not to be missed.

Kevin Scott
    BPL Member

@fjrpilot

Nice write up.  What month did you complete this hike?  I live in El Paso and the BB is a bit to hot to hike in the summer (at least for me…)

HiLight
    BPL Member

@hilight

Locale: Directorate X

Luke, well done. Thanks for giving some attention to this beautiful area. I’ve driven through the state park, but my trips to Big Bend country have been focused on the national park. The entire Big Bend area is filled with backpacking opportunities, as well as some 4WD trails worth the time. Many trails in the nearby national park are relatively untraveled, too. A hike into the Chisos Mountains is a real treat, and Terlingua is interesting.

Kevin, I’ve been to the area in November, 2013 and May, 2016.  The November trip was unseasonably wet, but that was a treat, as the desert greened up considerably, and water falls were active. The May trip was a bit of a scramble after my plans for Grand Canyon fell through. I didn’t mind the heat, but I would’ve enjoyed my time there more earlier in the year, as everything had dried up by then.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the report! Sounds pretty lonesome, which can be a good thing!

Bill

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Love me some BBRSP.  Thanks for sharing here Luke.

The region feels like an extension of my stomping grounds in southern NM, but the distance away from any large urban areas really sets the park apart for northern Chihuahuan desert exploration.  I spent 5 days last October on my bike riding across the park and zig zagging around checking out other cool loops, such as the Solitario.  I’d do it all over again in October, or any month into early spring.

http://desertpaincave.blogspot.com/2016/09/bbrsp-belated-reflections-from-multi.html

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Nice report.  Hope to make it out that way some day,

Will B
    BPL Member

@will-b-2

Locale: Colonia Centro

I did the same route recently and found this info really helpful. Such a beautiful place. Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools