Topic

Hike between Indiana and SC

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hike between Indiana and SC

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I’m planning our annual boys escape our wives and kids hike for April 2018. One guy live in Hilton Head so we like to hike somewhere <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>roughly</span> in the middle. Last year we did part of the foothills trail. This year I’m considering something in NC, TN or possibly Virginia. I’ve been looking into Linville Gorge and Alleghany but finding good hikes in unfamiliar areas is a daunting task. We need to put together a four day-three night hike. Can you please provide me with suggestions?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

There are so many options in that area.  And April can be a great time to hike.  The wildflowers will be out.  You’ll likely get rain, though.

There are lots of AT hikes.  My AT favorites would include Grayson Highlands or Roan Highlands if you’ve never been.

The Smokies are an option.  There are good loops with easy access out of the Big Creek trailhead.  Reservations required.

Slickrock WIlderness just southeast of the Smokies is a good option.  No permits needed, no crowds, good loop options, and old growth forest.

Big Frog/Cohutta Wildernesses look like a good option.  I have not been yet but hope to go soon.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Thanks, Ben. One other desirable feature is that we really like to hike along and near rivers. It just makes for a really nice hike. Not a requirement, but definitely a plus if possible.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

AT hikes are mostly out then.  The Smokies loops are a good option for smaller streams.  Slickrock spends a lot of time on the creeks, as does Big Frog/Cohutta.  Linville Gorge, which you mentioned is a contender for sure for a river walk.  You might look at the Big South Fork of the Cumberland as well; it has a lot of streams and a great river with high cliffs and rapids.  Let me know if you need any specifics on any of these.  You all will have a great time.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools