Topic

Highest Caloric Density Homemade Bar

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Highest Caloric Density Homemade Bar

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

I make a version of this, which can be tweaked depending on what kind of fruit/nut/coconut/chocolate mix you like. They can be crumbly but good, hearty, and nutritionally dense.

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/breakfast-cookies-recipe

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

cashews are 180. I have to eat a lot before I get sick of them. Cashews and dried apricots are a great combo. Very compact too. (Not a bar, sorry).

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Planning to do the Sierra High Route with a couple of fellow BPLers next summer, and I’d like to try and do it without resupply.  195 miles in 20 days. I figure I’ll need 4,000 cal/day, and if I can get 200 cal/oz I think I might be able to do it.

20 days x 4,000 cal/day = 80,000 cal total divided by 200 cal/oz = 400 oz = 25 lbs.

Also have to carry a bear canister. Mine is approximately 10″ tall x 12″ diameter, so that works out to a 1/2″ x 12″ diameter “layer” per day. My basic kit is 8 lbs., but the canister ads 2.5 lbs. So I’d be starting with about 35 lbs. Not UL, but it gets lighter every day and saves me two days of hiking and climbing down and back up two times to resupply.

Planning to go no-cook and may rent a CF bear canister to save a pound or two, and will supplement with wild onions, miner’s lettuce, and anything else I can scavenge as we go. Planning to fish on the two days that my companions will be gone on resupply, but can’t rely on that.

So I’m trying to come up with 20 days worth of calories (notice I don’t call it “food”) that fit the weight and volume criteria, as well as not spoiling for three weeks. I know I’ll likely have to forgo much in the way of taste and variety, but whatever I come up with is almost certainly going to be better than the one flavor of Power Bars that I once (and never again) took on a week-long trek. I plan to make a week’s worth of whatever I’m thinking of taking to eat and see if I can stand it.

Haven’t seen any actual recipes here (or maybe I missed it) for bars above about 170 cal/oz. Wondering if just lots and lots of different kinds of nuts or nut butters, olive oil, and some powdered freeze-dried fruits and veggies might work?

Suggestions?

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

cashews are 180. I have to eat a lot before I get sick of them. Cashews and dried apricots are a great combo. Very compact too. (Not a bar, sorry).

I bet that could become a bar with a little bit of grinding, pressing and drying.  Maybe some oats to help bind it.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

Breakfast Cookies
    64cookies @ 206cal/cookie

Ingredients

1 c canola oil

½ c brown sugar

½ c honey

½ c Splenda

4 large eggs

1 Tsp cinnamon

2 Tsp baking soda

1 ½ Tsp salt

1 Tbs pure vanilla

Beat the above ingredients together with mixer until well blended.

Add:

5 c flour

7 c thick rolled oats

Beat until well mixed.

Add:  1 cup of each of the following:

Chopped dates

Chopped dried apricots

Dark raisins

Light raisins

Dried blueberries

Dried cherries

1 c Raw sunflower seeds

1 c Chopped walnuts

1 c Slivered almonds

The 6 Ingredients italicized above place in a food processor and blend/chop well till paste consistency.

Mix all together……this is hard because the dough gets quite stiff…..I put rubber gloves on and kneaded it in a large bowl.

Make into balls, a little larger than golf ball size.  I put 9 on a large cookie sheet covered with parchment paper.  Press each ball to flatten (about 1/2 inch thick).  I use a glass or dish that has a flat bottom which I rub a little butter on which stops it from sticking to the cookie.  I also dip the buttered end of the glass in sugar each time I press a cookie flat.   Bake at 375 degrees for 12 to 15 minutes.  Enjoy healthful eating.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Thanks guys. I’ll be giving those a try.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

Shortbread is always a good way to supplement the calorie intake. I wouldn’t fill a whole bear can with them, but I did do a wheel of them in my last mutliday hike – I cooked the recipe in a pie tin approximately the same diameter of the bear can I was carrying, and cut it into wedges. I did the same for a peanutbutter+choc chip cookie recipe. It made for a good cal/volume, which you want if you have to fit 20 days worth of “body-fuel” in it.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/buttery-3-ingredient-shortbread-cookies/

Is the high sierra route exclusively bear can country? If you are able to carry the first several days in a bag and PCT hang, that will save you some canister weight, and increase your bear-hanging skills. I know it can get a bad rap, but I found it to be quite easy to hang with a decent hang bag, a spare tent stake, and and proper rope.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

@kenlarson

the contents of that breakfast cookie look good. I may have to try that.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools