Topic

High Volume Trail Runners for Prescription Orthotics? (not zero drop)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) High Volume Trail Runners for Prescription Orthotics? (not zero drop)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi.  I injured my foot recently and now I have to wear prescription Orthotics for my foot condition(at least for a while).  The orthotics allowed me to heal and eventually become active again.  Can someone suggest high volume (not zero drop) trail runners that you think would work with Orthotics?  My past trail runners were La Sportiva Wildcat 2.0 and La Sportiva Akasha, but they don’t seem to have enough height/volume, especially in the mid-section and toebox with the Orthotics.  Therefore, I need something wide in the forefoot like my past 2 trail runners, but also with more volume/height.  I am currently using Hoka Bondi 6 and Brooks Dyads with the Orthotics for aerobic exercise and work with the Orthotics and the Orthotics also work for hiking with the Merrel Moab 2 Boots, but I also want some trail runners to use with the Orthotics since I usually prefer Trail Runners for hiking.  Also, I cannot go with Zero drop shoes for a while b/c of the foot issue.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

A lowtop “hiking shoe” would also work instead of a trail runner, but it has to be synthetic and not leather because if it has a low top and it is not waterproof it has to be rather quick drying for me.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

I have fat feet and like the Previous generation Hoka Stinson.  For reference my feet are too fat for Altra lone peaks(the mid section is too small) but fit great in the Stinson.  I have not tried this year’s Stinson however.  I heard they are smaller sadly.  Beyond that the build quality of Hoka is just amazing and the Stinson is a solid shoe.  It feels more solid than the lone peaks I’ve tried.  It’s like an Altra Olympus but more sturdy.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve worn prescription orthotics for 30 years. These shoes have worked for me, in reverse chronological order, since designs change:

• Hoka Challenger ATR 4 (Most cushy of any shoe I’ve owned)
    • ASICS GT-2XXX trail runners (Went through many pairs over several generations)
    • Brooks Cascadia 7,8,9  (The 9’s wore out way too soon)

After I wear out two pairs of Hoka Challengers (new pair waiting in the closet), I’ll probably try the Hoka Speedgoat. Others I’ve tried with good volume but weren’t perfect for me are the Altra Lone Peak and Topo Terraventure,

Other notes:

• Some shoes + orthotics work better with the insole on top (never underneath), some without. Try both ways.
    • Your best bet is to take orthotics to a store with a wide selection and try a bunch on.
    • Recent studies say prescription orthotics ($$$) don’t work any better than off-the-shelf models like SuperFeet. I’ll give those a try when these wear out.
    • I’ll never wear so-called “waterproof breathable” shoes again. Been there, hated that.
    • In 20 years I’ve gone from US size 10.5 to 12. Try different sizes.

What works or doesn’t for me probably won’t be the same for you.

— Rex

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Also had orthotics for a long time. Also like ASICS and New Balance Leadville. Both last much longer than Hoka. I’m using Altra Timp Trail for hiking now. I was concerned about zero drop, but the altras have so much going for them and the zero drop has never bothered me. Adjustment was nothing; maybe felt it in the calf a couple of times. My ortho doc says it doesn’t matter.

Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Thanks to all who replied.

Trying a hoka trail shoe sounds fine for nice trails, since I’m liking the Hoka Bondis so much, but don’t trust the stability scrambling and off-trail because of the stack height.  I think that I’ll try the Speedgoats since they are supposed to have a wide toebox, but the Hoka website says the new Hoka ATRs have a smaller footbox than the previous models.

However, I still need to decide on a shoe for tougher trails and scrambling etc.

In regards to prescription orthotics vs. off the shelf……..Rex, you are correct that studies show that off the shelf work equally well to custom for many foot conditions like Plantar Fascitis, but no studies show orthotics working for my condition which is Posterior Tibial Tendenosis and PTTD (Posterior Tibial Tendon Dysfunction, which is where the arch begins to collapse bc the posterior tendon weakens). I got this injury possibly from overuse and exercising in a stupid way where I was always running on the same side of the road, which put continuously more stress on my left arch from the angled road.  At the same time, I was taking a medicine that they think may have been weakening my tendons that I have discontinued. Luckily, it was caught early and my arch has stabilized. Anecdotally, I did also try off the shelf orthotics, but they did not give me any relief.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Perhaps trying on a Wildcat 1/2 size larger?

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I’ve had pretty good luck with New Balance in 4E for big volume. Unfortunately they don’t keep models around very long. I’ve purchased a few pair at a time when I find something that works. That way I’m only having to go through the pain in rear of finding new shoes that work every 3 years or so.

889s were great. Wish they had a little more mesh instead of leather on top, but great soles

910v2 were/are super comfy, but not as durable. I’m on my last of 3 pair now. The previous two had mesh upper tears and one had a partial sole delamination

SKOM v1 are my most recent ones. Haven’t had them on the trail yet, but they check all the boxes. Same fit as the 910s. More durable upper than the 910s. Vibram sole unlike the 910s. Rock plate.

https://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-SKOM-Summit-Mountain-Running/dp/B075R82L9H?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAI2TWEDSMJWGPXOQQ&tag=cameltracker-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B075R82L9H

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

I’ve been hiking/backpacking in trail runners with orthotics for the better part of 15 years.  The old (pre-colombia) montrail trail runners were great.  The last few seasons I’ve switched to Brooks Cascadia.  For me they work well, just enough volume over the arch.  The current rendition of this shoe has more forefoot volume than previous models.

Terry W
    Spectator

@dufus54

inov8…Parkclaw has 8mm drop, absolutely the widest shoe I’ve found. Snagged them on sale over the holidays, yet to put them through the paces, but build quality seems on point

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools