Topic

High volume hiking boots ( accommodate orthotics)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) High volume hiking boots ( accommodate orthotics)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael K
    BPL Member

@chinookhead

Hi.  Please suggest some high volume hiking boots that can accommodate orthotics with a pretty solid heel county.  Because i am need to have orthotics in them, the tricky part is finding boots with enough height and volume in the forefoot and midfoot area so that area is not too tight and yet still holds my heel since my foot is pretty  skinny in the heel area.  Getting size wide shoes does not work since i don’t want them wide and sloppy at the heel.  I just had major reconstruction of the arch of my left foot so i need to wear orthotics religiously for at least 1-2 years. I loved my oboz and they are wide enough in the forefoot but they don’t have enough height in the forefoot area. A pretty stiff sole is also desired.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Northeast

Michael,

It’s been nearly 20 years since I bought boots so I can’t offer that advice.  However I have and use custom orthotics and had them when I purchased my last boots.  Try sizing up.   My arch length is a US size 14 but my boots are European 49 (~US size 15) and my trail runners and running shoes are likewise size 15.  There is plenty of volume for the orthotics and I have no difficulty lacing them snugly enough to secure my heels.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I use Keens. I also use orthotics. My left orthotic is ridiculously beefy. Keen’s tend to have a very wide toe box and are roomy everywhere else.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I don’t use orthotics, unless SuperFeet count. But I agree that Keens have a wide toe box. That’s why I wear them.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve worn high orthotics for too many decades. When my old boots or shoes get discontinued, I take my feet, socks, and orthotics to a store, and try a bunch on. Only way to be sure, unless you want to buy-try-return-repeat.

Sock thickness matters.

In trail running shoes, I’ve had good luck with ASICS and Hoka. Both have models with stiff foot plates. My boots were discontinued a long time ago.

Note that everyone makes small unannounced changes to their shoes almost every year. Just because a 2022 XYZ 123 shoe fits well, doesn’t mean a 2023 XYZ 123 shoe will fit at all. BTDT too many times. When I find a pair that I still like after a few months, I buy several more of the exact year, style, and color.

Good luck.

— Rex

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

Topo trail runners and boots have wide toe boxes and narrow heels…

The Trailventure 2 mids are a nice boot an pretty wide, but still snug heel

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

If you don’t find a boot that fits the orthotic, try finding a custom orthotic that fits the boot.  It must fit inside the boot, and should be made by a podiatrist with experience fitting orthotics to boots as well as feet.  He/she should be able to tell you if it can be done with the orthotics and/or boots  that you have.  Ask him/her to show you some orthotics.  PAL custom carbon fiber orthotics are excellent, and if you live near NH, PM me and I’ll provide the name of an excellent podiatrist there.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m very interested in this discussion as well, as I use a carbon plate to mitigate the effects of hallux rigidis.

The orthotic is very thin but it’s amazing how little it takes to eat up the vertical volume in most shoes. Wide toeboxes make little difference here (we need vertical volume, not necessarily more width) and sizing up too much results in a sloppy fit.

I’m still searching as well.

Ben Perry
    BPL Member

@olias_of_sunhillow

I’ve found that Danner boots accommodate my high-volume feet better than most brands (with Keen second). Consider the Danner Mountain 600 if you’re looking for mid-height boot with good sole thickness.

Indrit S
    BPL Member

@grivola79

I use these Ducan High GTX

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!