Topic

High Sierra Trail August 2017

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning High Sierra Trail August 2017

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

My son and I will be hiking the High Sierra Trail in the middle of August of 2017.   For the most part I believe I understand the food storage rules.  In other words:

I know where the bear boxes are/aren’t.  I know we will need an approved bear canister when we get to Guitar Lake.  And I understand that my S29 Ursack is NOT on the approved list for Guitar Lake.

Here is where I am less than clear:

1. Am I OK using my S29 Ursack from Crescent Meadows until we arrive at Guitar Lake?  If so, I’d like to just use something like the Lighter1 Lil’ Sami for Guitar Lake and the rest of the trip heading East.
    2. If we don’t stick to campsites with bear boxes, is the Ursack S29 still OK for the trail West of Guitar Lake?  Or does deviating from “approved campsites” mean that we will need an approved canister for the entire trip?

Thanks!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

read what ANDREW SKURKA SAYS on the subject from his trip on his blog

Michael Hill
    BPL Member

@mh

Never mind. After posting, I realized that I didn’t actually address the questions, so I deleted my post.

Dave Ayers
    Spectator

@djayers

Locale: SF Bay Area

The SEKI map of where bear canisters are required and recommended is at https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/upload/FoodStorageRequirements_8x11_20150729-2.pdf .  If my eyes do not deceive me, Guitar Lake is not in the required area.  Note that this is the 2016 map, it seems possible they might change things this season.  The general SEKI rules page is at https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bear_bc.htm with links to the map and approved canisters, etc.

Bears have been known to grab Ursacks and run off with them, so plan accordingly …

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Skurka’s post (cited above) addresses the Sierra High Route and not the High Sierra Trail.

The High Sierra Trail runs roughly east west starting in SEKI at Crescent Meadow and ending at Whitney Portal near Lone Pine.

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/high-sierra-trail.html

Nothing more to add on bear canister requirements except that at least the initial part of HST is frequented by human food habituated bears;  best to carry a canister – protect your food and save the bears.

Tallgrass
    BPL Member

@reeas1955-2

Thanks everybody for your posts.  Bears grabbing Ursacks, huh?  I’m guessing those weren’t tied down properly?  (Which, of course, is probably the reason that the S29 Ursack isn’t approved for the canister required areas of SEKI/Yosemite, in the first place.)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools