Topic

HIgh Sierra Trail August 2016

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports HIgh Sierra Trail August 2016

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

I led a trip that consisted of 10 participants, 3 adults and 7 scouts.  We spent 10 days hiking from Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal.  Plenty of sun, water, and fresh air.  One zero day, and otherwise 6 to 10 miles per day.  No rain, very little snow observed, the only places to touch it were around Precipice lake and the trail to Whitney.  Very few mosquitoes, a couple or rattelsnakes and a pika were the only real wildlife observed.  Deer, Marmots, and squirrels and such don’t really count in my book.

Highlights include meeting up with a couple young ladies doing the trip for the first time and adopting thim into the troop for the trip.  Meeting Brittnay Nielson, first person to hike the Condor Trail.  Ultimate frisbee over 9000 feet on the Chagiioa Plateau.  Great dinners courtesy of Andrew Skurka;s recipes for bean, rice and cheese, pesto noodles, and spicy Thai peanut noodles.  The gift of a pound or more of macadamia nuts from a weight conscious hiker at Junction meadow went great with our chocolate bar dessert.   The Kraken of Cigar Lake (ask Paul Johnson about that one).  And finally, the realization afterwards that it is often now where you are, but who you are with, that matters.  But being in the Sierras for 10 days makes for some great company.

Lowlights include the hike down from Whitney.  Never again.  Trail camp, what a cesspool.  This helped to cement the decision to end next years JMT not at Whitney, but at Langley, and hike out via Horseshoe Meadow trail head.

Matt

Laura R
    BPL Member

@laura-r

You’re telling me that if I’d hung around longer, an ultimate game would have broken out? (I was the green-skirted passerby who participated in the frisbee for exactly one catch and pass, just before the ranger showed up. I’d been hearing about “The Scout Troop” since Hamilton Lake, but no one had mentioned the frisbee. I’m glad you had a great time, notwithstanding the unpleasantness on the west side of Whitney, which I avoided by exiting over Kearsarge!)

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Well Laura, to be more precise an ultimate game did break out.  Of course not right next to where you saw us, but a few hundred yards up the meadow, as “it was much better up there”.  I never did figure out why.

I carried the frisbee up to that point, as everyone wanted to play, but no one “had room” to carry it.  That was definitely the climax of frisbee on the trip, as before and after was only hack sack, or “b-sack” as the scouts call it.  At least I was able to drop 175 grams after that to my son for the remainder of the trip.

Had we known you were interested in playing it would have been even teams instead of 4 on 3.  As you probably guessed, the 3 person team won.

Hope you had a great trip also, the Sierras are my favorite place to be, so long as the surf is not breaking at home.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools