Topic

Hexamid Solo returns to ZPacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexamid Solo returns to ZPacks

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Got an e-mail from ZPacks stating that the original Hexamid is back in limited production (100) for its 10 year anniversary. Of course if sales go well it will be back to stay. I knew it would happen. The original is still the best (for those under 5′ 11″ tall). https://zpacks.com/products/hexamid-solo-tent

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

I love my Hexamid!!  It’s almost perfect.

The only complaint I have ever had is that there is no “eave” overhanging the bug netting.  Instead, the netting is sewn to the end of the roof’s edge.  As a result, water drips down the roof diagonally, and then vertically down the netting, soaking anything inside touching it (which is likely because it is a tight space).  I contacted Joe once and suggested insetting the netting just a bit from the roof’s exposed edge, but he explained that it would screw up the manufacturing process beyond acceptable limits.  Looks like time for MYOG!   Now that will be the perfect shelter.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Yes, I loved mine as well. However, I never cottoned to the ‘beak’ because it doesn’t close far enough to the ground. I worried that a shift in the wind would allow gusts to come up under the beak and turn the tent into a sail. It never happened! so maybe this is a non existent issue. The tent performed great in the rain storms I was in except for some misting which was a non issue. If the floor netting gets wet, it becomes quite heavy!m But that rarely happens (once for me.)
    In short: this original design with the new adaptation of an entrance side that comes down further to the ground would make this (for me) a near perfect tent. Super light, roomy if you’re coming from a Fly Creek style solo tent, and pretty bomb proof.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

And I am about to sell mine which I only used for a week in Switzerland. Bought it used here in great shape :)

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I’m glad to see the revival of the original design with netting underneath and removable groundsheet on top.  People found the netting underneath a bit odd, but if you used it you soon realized it was a great design –
    (a) pitching in the rain you can keep the groundsheet dry in your pack until ready;
    (b) you can use the groundsheet to cowboy camp;
    (c) a cuben groundsheet is likely to wear out before the tent.

But now I’d like to see Joe revive the Hexamid Twin – never really a two-person shelter, but a great one-person shelter.   As a one-person shelter, a huge amount of useful space for just a few oz more than the Hexamid, and only one trekking pole needed (I hike with one pole).

Lange Jorstad
    BPL Member

@langostino

@septimius – are you saying that a 6-footer would potentially be hitting the tent wall or bug screen at the head/foot? I was considering a hexamid for solo trips, but would be less inclined if I felt like I always had to “tuck in” to avoid touching the ends of the tent.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Lange – I’m 5′ 11″ and do not touch either end of the Hexamid.  In fact, I use my shoes as a pillow, so they extend behind my head another 6″, or so, and I still have never had any moisture problems at the foot area.

Lange Jorstad
    BPL Member

@langostino

Thanks Matt, that’s reassuring. I know there are many possible solo shelter options, but the hexamid seems like a great combo of lightweight, bug screen and easy to set up.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools