Topic

Hexamid solo plus tent (beak version) question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexamid solo plus tent (beak version) question

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

So, I just got my hands on an older version hexamid solo plus tent, with ground sheet and beak. I was able to set it up today, and had a few questions, that maybe a more experienced user can answer.

How does one get to lower the beak, while inside the tent? I can’t figure out the shock cord system. As of now, I just ran the beak shock cord to the front stake. But this means i have to crawl under the tent, to release the beak, to open up the tent. I can’t be doing that right.

I noticed the front two corners of the tarp do not protect you much from rain, or spray. Is this a problem, or does the mesh help with this? It just seems like the front corners do not get much overlap. Finally, what mods, or additions, have you made to your tent? I am excited to hit the trail this weekend to give it a trial run. Thanks!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I found that line locs attached to the body of the tent, not the stake ends of the lines, really helped to fine tune pitching according to the lay of the land that you set up on.

As far as lowering the beak: you reach out from inside the tent and attach the shock cord to the pre-set independent stake (or the same stake that the pole is attached to).

As for your next to last question: this tent seemed very fiddly to me for a while. It took me some time to figure out how it worked. I mean, about fourteen nights. In fact, you should be able to get those corners close enough to the ground that the bathtub floor and the netting will in fact keep spray out–actually, the tarp alone should do this. Again: line locs on the body of the tent. the tendency is to want to lower the tarp close to the ground in rain; this has the effect of also lowering the bathtub floor inside. I never resolved this. Still, this tent was rain worthy for me.

this is in fact a really nice tent. You didn’t mention my one big concern with it; namely, that stormy wind gusts could enter on the beak side and cause problems. Never happened with me though.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Thanks! Looks like i wil be purchasing some line locks. Do you mean I should attach the line locks to the tarp portion directly? Yeah, i figured it will take me a few nights to figure it out, bit i am excited about it.

Now that you mention it, i did notice a rather large gap between the bottom of the beak, and the ground, bit i felt like the bathtub floor was set back far enough?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools