Topic

Helpful suggestions for setting up Durston X-Mid Pro Tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Helpful suggestions for setting up Durston X-Mid Pro Tent

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    ronald liljedahl
    BPL Member

@trout-1-2

I recently purchased a Durston X-Mid Pro Dyneema tent and failed to set it up correctly on my first attempt. I subsequently corresponded with owner of Durston Gear and was given answers to my questions. Dan agreed I could share these on this forum for the benefit of any others who might be struggling to get a taut fit.

If this is the wrong forum for this, I apologize.

I am not trying to market the Durston tents. I simply want to pass along what I think is valuable information for someone who has purchased this style of a hybrid Dyneema tent and struggles understanding the geometry.

The format is:

my question in bold

followed by his answer.

“”I understand that all 4 corners of the Dyneema exterior must be in a rectangle with 90 degree corners after staking.”
    It is good to try to be as accurate as possible, but you can also fix it later without moving the stakes. Basically you notice if the rectangle is inaccurate because of how the canopy loops, and then fix it by adjusting the length of the corner cords instead of moving the stakes.

This diagram explains it:
    https://durstongear.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/X-Mid-Pitching-Tips.png

The 3 main problems people have are (1) they don’t tighten the base before the the poles are added, (2) they don’t extend the poles firmly enough, and (3) they don’t know how to adjust if the base rectangle is not 90 degrees.

Should the 4 stake out points be at a 45 degree angle away from the Dyneema corners giving an X configuration when viewed from above?
    Yes 45 degrees is best so that it is pulling down both sides and not just one.

Should the 4 corner guidelines be under minimal, moderate or tight tension before trying to place the 2 poles in place?
    Quite tight. When the poles are added they pull the corners inward and reduce tension around the base so the corner guylines should be pulled quite tight before the poles are in place. The cords can be long or short for a high or low pitch, but should always be tight.

Do I change the length of the poles for a high sidewall versus low sidewall pitch?
    The corner cords act like extensions of the fly. For a high pitch, set the corners cords longer before staking them out, so they are staked in a larger rectangle. The poles will be longer too because of this.

Should I shorten the 4 corner guidelines by 50% before staking if I want lower sidewalls?
    Yes. Shorten them as much as you want to make it lower.

If i decide to then raise the side walls, do lengthen the guidelines and then restake the 4 corners?
    Yes exactly. If you simply loosened the guylines and extended the poles taller the proportions of the tent would be off as it would be pulled too tall but smaller base as the corners pull inwards. So you must lengthen the guylines and restake if you want to raise the height later.

If the short side wall of the bathtub is slack, what should I do?
    If the long side wall of the bathtub is slack, what should I do?
    For both of these, the best solution is to put the pole tip in the pole tip loop and then move that tip around to adjust the tension on the floor. usually it works best to have the pole tip pulling to the right a bit. If you still have issues, you can adjust the length of the cords that secure the floor but rarely is this needed.

Hope that helps,
    Dan

He also told me it is best to store the tent by rolling it up and placing it in the stuff sack while backpacking and while home.

ronald liljedahl
    BPL Member

@trout-1-2

If anybody has others suggestions, please add them.

Thank you.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

There is a Facebook group that would probably appreciate these insights.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/durston.gearheads/

ronald liljedahl
    BPL Member

@trout-1-2

Baja Bob
    Thanks for the suggestion. I posted it there.

Rolf Asphaug
    BPL Member

@rolfdenver

Locale: Rocky Mountains

My only addition is that 120cm fixed length poles work well with my Durston tents – both my Pro 2P and my regular 1P. I use 120cm ultralight Black Diamond Z poles so this is a plus.

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

A popular hack is to replace the corner lines with longer lengths. 18 in. to 24 in. for more stake placement options and deadman use.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools