Topic

Help with Roan Highlands

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help with Roan Highlands

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Planning a four day/three night hike beginning April 21, ’18 with a group of friends. Most of them are not avid hikers so daily mileage needs to be low (6-10 miles/day). Also, we all hammock camp so I need to ensure we end up in areas with trees each night. Could anyone help me out?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Sure, it shouldn’t be too hard to find hang spots at all.  It’s not too complicated logistically.  There are good options for loops or lollipops.  It’s a great place any time of year.  What specific questions do you have?

jimmyjam
    BPL Member

@jimmyjam

Locale: Mid Atlantic

This link will help with planning mileage:

http://www.atdist.com

It’s a great area to hike. Do you have either the ATCs guidebook or AWOLs guidebook? Uncle Johnny’s in Erwin TN is a great hostel and can help with shuttels.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks guys! No I do not have either guide book (yet).

@alexdrewreed
    , my questions would be around generally good starting points for getting a shuttle and ending back at the car. ~25 miles would be perfect but a little more or less is fine if there a prefect route that fits the bill. Input on water would be great as well if possible.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

You can do Roan just fine with no shuttle.  Last time I went, we started on Hwy 603 near the Grindstone campground.  We went up Mt. Rogers trail to the AT at Deep Gap.  From there, we went around Mt. Rogers.  We continued on until we got near Wilburn Ridge; at that point we took a left off the AT over what is called Pine Mountain on the map.  This trail leads to “Scales”, an intersection of multiple dirt roads that includes a bathroom.  At Scales, we got back on the AT.  We walked across the Quebec Branch and up to Wilburn Ridge.  You’ll see signs there mentioning you are in Grayson Highlands.  Keep following the AT up a beautiful open ridge.  You’ll eventually connect back with the AT where you left off before.  There is a short spur up to Mt. Rogers; it’s a nice hike to the highest peak in Va.  Back on the AT, you can continue back to Deep Gap and back down the trail you came in on to your car.  Look at caltopo and you can follow this pretty easily.

I like the route mentioned above, but there are other good options too.  You could start in Grayson Highlands and do a loop.  Or start at Elk Gardens on Hwy 630, Scales, or Fox Creek Horse Camp on Hwy 603.

And don’t forget to keep your eyes open for ponies:

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Ben – I think you are thinking of Grayson Highlands (a little further north on the AT and a fantastic place) The main part of Roan Highlands (between Roan Mountain and Doll Flats) is pretty open, so you will have to be specific on where you camp.  Bradley Gap is a decent area that could be hammock camped and it has a spring. You won’t be doing a loop there, but you could get a shuttle from Mountain Harbor B&B (US 19E) or Kincora Hostel (Dennis Cove) which is further north, or Uncle Johnny’s Hostel which is further south in Erwin.

I’ll try and pull the maps out tonight and see what they look like, its been a few years since I was there.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

I also have the ATC handbooks and maps if you would like to borrow them.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Brad, you are correct. I was definitely referencing Grayson. Sorry about that. Yeah,  I have not found a way to avoid a shuttle in Roan unless you do an out and back.  Sorry for the confusion, Hoosier.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

I assume you’ll go from Carvers Gap to 19E. It’s easy walking. You could easily do an out and back in that time.   You shouldn’t have a problem hitch hiking there either.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, guys.

@mocs123
    I would definitely borrow them if you’re okay with that. The trip is in April so whenever you feel comfortable sending them. I will cover the shipping cost.

I would actually prefer to get a shuttle instead of doing an out and back so I will have to try to find a more suitable mileage. Sounds like Carvers Gap to 19E might not be quite long enough.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TPAwHha6GHwx0rJ2
    <p style=”text-align: center;”>I hope these are helpful</p>

Sean B
    BPL Member

@studlintsean

Hoosier- I did this hike afew years ago with my brothers. Below are my suggestions:

• Park off 19E at Mountain Harbor B&B and Shuttle to Iron Mountain Gap
    • Day 1: Hike 12.1 miles to Ash Gap. There is a spring here and also room for tents and hammocks
    • Day 2: Hike 9 miles to Overmountain Shelter. If room in shelter, hammock from rafters. If not, I am sure you can find somewhere along tree line to hammock.
    • Day 3: Hike 9 miles back to car.

Stop at Highlands BBQ for a beer and BBQ before departing area.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

If you leave a car a 19E be sure to park at Mountain Harbor B&B as Sean said.  It’s maybe a half mile walk down 19E from where the AT crosses and the charge a couple of bucks a day, but there have been reports of break ins of cars parked at the AT crossing.

If you want to go further north, Bob Peoples runs a fantastic hostel on Dennis Cove Road (Kincora Hostel) and has had very fair prices on shuttles in the past as is about as nice of guy as you could ever hope to meet.  I am trying to remember but Dennis Cove is probably 30-35 miles past 19E.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools