Topic

Help with mod to MLD Newt?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with mod to MLD Newt?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

I have an MLD Newt, I think 2013 version.  There’s a mod I’d like to do which seems like it should be quite simple,  but I’m not sure of best way to do it.

My 2013 Newt has a rolltop closure with (3/4 inch?) buckles on either end that snap together.  In a later year, MLD changed the design so the buckles were on straps that went down to snaps on either side, to make rolltop closure part of a simple compression system.  It seems like it should be easy to change mine, I know one of the versions of Newt had strap going from top down to the little spectra loops on side of pack (that are now used for bungee cord).  But those spectra loops are quite small, could never fit 3/4 inch strap.  So basically my question is about hardware, is there some sort of “adapter” strap I could attach to the little loops, that goes from skinny strap to thicker 3/4″ strap on which I could have a matching version of the rolltop buckle?  Or some other simple way to mod this to get rolltop side buckles to snap down to sides of pack instead of to each other?

You can hopefully see the current rolltop setup in picture below:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools