Topic

Help me with my layering system (North East)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Help me with my layering system (North East)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Gabriel F
    BPL Member

@gfreiberg

Scope of this Layering System:

Activities: Day Hiking, Snowshoeing
    Seasons: Shoulder Season, Winter

Items in my layering system:

• Shirt and baselayer: Patagonia Capilene Lightweight Zip
    • Shirt and baselayer (for very cold, less than 30* at base): Patagonia Capilene Thermalweight Zip
    • Mid-Layer Top: Patagonia R2 (No Hoody)
    • Mid-layer Top (Alternate): Arcteryx Atom LT (Hoody)
    • Rain Jacket: OR Helium 2
    • Warm Jacket: Patagonia Down Sweater (No Hoody)
    • Pants: LL Bean Light Trekking Pants
    • Pants (for very cold, less than 30* at base, or snow): REI Activator Soft Shell
    • Neck: OR ActiveIce Ubertube Neck Buff
    • Head: any merino beanie
    • Gloves: OR Versaliner Gloves
    • Socks: Darn Tough Light Cushion Socks
    • Shoes: Salomon XA Pro Trail Runners
    • Shoes (snow): Salomon X Ultra 3 Mid GTX

Questions:

• Any general advice?
    • Can the Capilene Thermalweight be used as a mid-layer on top of the Capilene Lightweight in shoulder season?
    • Haven’t purchased the Salmon X Ultra 3 yet, any thoughts on using those with OR Crocs as my main winter shoe? I don’t own an insulated hiking boot, is it needed?
    bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

I have used a thermal weight zip neck as a midlayer over a cap lightweight zip from Springer in Georgia to Bennington VT. In temperature from say 35  and up I find heavier midlayers too warm when moving. If I keep my hands and head warm that usually suffices. I have carried a Montbell UL Thermawrap as my puffy so that can be used as midlayer if it gets too cold.

Gabriel F
    BPL Member

@gfreiberg

Awesome. I wasn’t sure if it was an okay move to layer those two together as they’re both generally regarded as baselayers.

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

Looks pretty good to me.  Personally I’d add wpb pants, I prefer full zips for winter.  In winter I would also take both puffys and add additional hand wear including a warm mitten option.  I tend toward an insulated wpb boot for winter day hikes these days.  You can use vapor barrier liners, I have done that in some very cold temps and been good.  I would also want gaiters in winter.   It is sure getting to be that time of year, have fun.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools