Topic

Help me pick a rock climbing /hiking jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me pick a rock climbing /hiking jacket

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    mkelly1270
    BPL Member

@mkelly1270

My dream jacket would keep me warm(I run cold) on multi-pitch climbs in 45-65F weather.  I am hoping to wear fewer layers for climbing comfort/performance.  Ideally, one jacket that I can wear over OR echo light shirt on warmer days, and over merino wool or NF futurefleec LT on colder days.

My main goal is to have one jacket that I can leave on all day through the stop/go activity of climbing.

I just got a Mountain Equipment Kinesis Jacket but haven’t tested it in the field yet.  I only have 7 days to return it.

I am considering Patagonia Nano-air light, Arcteryx proton FL, Mountain Equipment Kinesis, OR Uberlayer, or any other items you guys suggest :)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’ve used the Arcteryx Proton FL exactly for this purpose. This is the most comfortable climbing shell layer I’ve ever worn – I wear it over a short sleeve Capilene Cool shirt on mild days and a lightweight merino wool hoody when it’s cold.

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

My got-o for ice climbing in most conditions are: lightweight merino base layer, Patagonia R1 hoodie, and an Arc’teryx Squamish wind shirt. This is usually the most I wear when I’m climbing. Then I have a belay parka (the MEC Tango) to throw over everything while I’m belaying or eating lunch or whatever. Something I’ve been experimenting with is using Polartec Alpha Direct (a Macpac Nitro hoodie) in lieu of my R1. So far it seems like it’s working well. Wind does go through it much more easily, so a wind shirt becomes even more important, but it’s just about as warm at less weight. HTH.

mkelly1270
    BPL Member

@mkelly1270

@Ryan – Thanks.  Has the Merino+proton FL kept you warm all the way down to 45 in the shade/wind?

@S Long Thanks. I am going to try a similar setup tomorrow NF future fleece LT+Kinesis+houdini

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Does Marmot still make their Alpha 60 hoody? I have one and like it a lot for stop and go activities.

mkelly1270
    BPL Member

@mkelly1270

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

This one (not sure if they have any in stock, you might need to try other online vendors who sell Marmot):

https://www.marmot.com/sale/men/jackets-and-vests/mens-alpha-60-jacket/AFS_889169544187.html

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Looks like Marmot discontinued that jacket. A shame! And when I called Marmot to ask whether they have a similar product the phone # connects to a call center, in some far off country, with no actual knowledge of the products, just reading off the web page. Bummer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools