Topic

Help me pick a pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me pick a pack

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Charles C
    Spectator

@charlesclaassen

I’m planning a SOBO PCT thru hike next year, did the Washington section this past summer.  My base weight is a bit less than 10 pounds, with 4 days food, typical water carry and other consumables comes to 19ish pounds.  I carried a Patagonia Ascenionist 35l and was pretty comfortable, but at a smidge over two pounds, I think I can get a more comfortable carry, more space, and better functionality for less weight.

I don’t want or need a huge pack…60L would be a lot of unused space for my minimal kit.  I would be too tempted to bring more than I need!  Even 50 would be pushing it, but if a pack in the 50-60 range compressed and carried well when under-packed, I would consider it.  40L is pretty much what I’m looking for.  So obviously, the GG Gorilla is one of my first considerations.  It comes in about the same weight as my Ascensionist, but looks like the waist belt/suspnesion would be more comfortable on heavier days.  Other packs I’m considering:  ULA Ohm 2.0 and CDT, Zpacks Arc Blast, MLD Burn, KS 40.  Any feedback, advice, suggestions, or alternatives?

Kurt K
    Spectator

@kman

I just picked up a new Hyperlite Mountain Gear 3400 Porter pack last week but I haven’t tested it out yet. So I can’t give you a tested opinion but you might check their website out.

I’m looking forward to checking it out soon.

Charles C
    Spectator

@charlesclaassen

Yes, I forgot to include the HMG 2400 as one of the packs I am looking at.  Read a review that wasn’t glowing, but if anyone has a different opinion, let me know.

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Porter 4400 but I’m biased.

Arne L.
    BPL Member

@arnel

Locale: Europe

You could ask the nice people of Superiour Wilderness Designs to make you a custom Long Haul.

Standard they are 50L (internal capacity only) but they can make them smaller on request.

They’re very open to custom work in general and have a lot of great fabrics to pick from.

I have the Long Haul 50 and for heavier loads it’s a very great pack. For smaller loads and faster ‘n shorter trips I use a frameless Superiour 35 by the same company.

Charles C
    Spectator

@charlesclaassen

Thanks for the suggestion of Superior Wilderness Designs.  I hadn’t heard of them, and the 35 with suspension looks like exactly what I was looking for!

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I have a Windrider 2400 with limited mileage.  Reviews often ding the hipbelt pockets, and I don’t disagree.  They are small compared to the ULA Ohm I use more often.  I’m not quite down to the volume you are.

I will say the HMG transfers weight better than the Ohm or Gorilla in my view.  I found the Gorilla with the external pad to be very hot, noticeably warmer than the other packs.

Kyle Meyer
    BPL Member

@kylemeyer

Locale: Portland, OR

The PNW’s long term forecasting[1] says this will likely be an above average winter. Assuming a start the first of July, you’re going to need a heavier base weight than 10lbs to make it through the all the snow you’ll be crossing. Additionally, if you don’t make it through the Sierra before snow flies, you could need  that equipment again. Some sort of PLB, microspikes, gaiters, and perhaps an ice axe will or could be necessary to cover the hundreds of miles of snow walking that may be present.

All that said, I’d suggest giving yourself some breathing room in your pack, just in case. 50L sounds like it’d work fine. An Ohm 2.0 or HMG Porter 3400 both compress well, are light, and give you some breathing room if the forecasted winter materializes.

[1] http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/NaturalResources/Documents/Weather/dlongrange.pdf

Charles C
    Spectator

@charlesclaassen

Good advice, Kyle.  I have been watching the snotel station data with interest, and it does seem to be a fairly high snow year, especially in the north part of Washington.  I didn’t think I’d ever say it, but I hope there’s not too much snow this year!

BCap
    BPL Member

@bcap

You should try calling HMG and ask if they have any seconds/discounted packs available.  In 2016 my wife managed to score an ‘old logo’ pack for 30% off by calling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools