Topic

Help me find this 'emergancy bar' recipe please emphasis on HIGHLY dehydratable

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Help me find this 'emergancy bar' recipe please emphasis on HIGHLY dehydratable

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I know ’emergency bar recipes are easy to find BUT I need one with a specific parameter….it has to be able to reduce weight significantly with dehydration!!

On a trail about a year ago a hiker said she got onto one of the world emergency organisation’s websites and they had recipes there for ’emergency bars’. She said these bars were designed to give the right amount of carb vs protein and furthermore when she dehydrated them they were ONLY 20g each (2/3rd ounce) !!!!!

The problem is I haven’t been able to find said recipes :-(. Has anyone heard of these emergency bars? Is there such a bar that can be dehydrated to such a low weight????

Ta

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

You can certainly do this without much trouble.  You just have to avoid ingredients with wet sugars and fiber.  In the end Carbs are 4 calories per gram, protein is 4 calories per gram, and fat is 9 calories per gram.  You cannot do any better than that.  From: myfitnesspal

The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommends eating within the following ranges:

• Carbohydrates: 45-65% of calories
    • Fat: 20-35% of calories
    • Protein: 10-35% of calories

Let’s say you want to up fat and protein content to increase calories and try to maintain muscle mass.  How about 45% carbs, 35% fat, and 20% protein?  If you remove all fiber and water your 20 gram bar would have 115 calories.  Perhaps with some trace amounts of water fiber 100 cal/20 gram would be a good target.  To get any higher calorie content you would have to increase fat content more and this is already at the max recommended by that link.  Is that what you are looking for?

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

Start with dry ingredients, add water.

Dehydrate and celebrate the weight savings.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools