Topic

Help me find a Down Parka, for moderate winter use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help me find a Down Parka, for moderate winter use?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I might need to replace my oldest daughter’s down parka.

She is 5’11”. Would consider both men’s and women’s parka’s.

What I am looking for is a jacket that would have around 7oz of 800fp in a men’s M jacket. (Obviously the listed fill weight for the women’s jackets will be less).

She does not run cold, so I am leaning towards sewn through, but box baffles would be ok too.

What I really want is a long enough torso length. In cold weather, especially for quick summit pauses in the mountains with wind, having more of the hips and butt covered really helps to keep you warm.

Of course a good, good that fits over a climbing helmet is essential.

Weight/packed size matters too. Too big and it doesn’t get taken along. At the same time, for durability and financial concerns, I don’t want the very lightest options either.

Looking for 800-900fp, 20d fabric (10d lining would be ok), minimal heavy features.

What8s out there?

MHW has the Phantom Parka, but don’t list their fill weight

Same for Pata with the Fitzroy.

Montbell Alpine Down parka is pretty nice, except for the short torso length. Also, a few extra features to add unnecessary weight, but that is hard to avoid.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Goosefeet Gear may be able to help…

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

The timmermade 1.5 down sweater is a pretty good value and he will custom fit to your measurements, so you could probably ask for an extended back length.

Ben at goosefeet will do the same too.

Commercially I’m a big fan of my Montbell alpine light and plasma 1000, but as you say they’re on the shorter side.

J R
    BPL Member

@jringeorgia

+1 for GFG. Ben will make to your daughter’s measurements and specs.

If you’re looking for the warmth that 7oz of fill can provide I really suggest box baffles not sewn-through.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

I got two pieces from Timmermade and was also very happy :) They aren’t down, which is why I initially did not think of it…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Least expensive for high quality-> Eddie Bauer First Ascent (when on sale)

Best for the money -> LL Bean (I have jacket and vest)

Both have high loft down that is DWR treated.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

I have the Himali altitude parka and I love it. They also make womens specific ones. Great colors too

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

@Shae, thanks for suggesting Himali , I had not heard of that brand before. Unfortunately they seem to have made the same poor choices as many other brands (OR, RAb, some Pata) and put an extra layer of fabric along the inside of the jackets. I am not sure what the reason for this is, but is so annoying. They also don’t show full body pictures, so it is hard to tell if it is long enough.

I knew GooseFeet would be an option, but that is not my first choice.
    Great to get features and fit the way you want (make sure to add length to your sleeve measurements, he measures fabric length, so once stuffed the sleeves get shorter). Also, the price is high for a 14 year old (allthough, at almost 6’ I don’t think she will get much taller).

@Eric
    Blumensaadt , what First ascent Parka? I do not see any when I search the web. Can you post a link?

Same for LLBean, I can not find any lightweight women’s parkas?

Nunatakusa would be appealing, but that price is out of range for a jacket that will only be used a few times a year. (Iceclimbing, winter camping and Backcountry skiing)

I see some people reporting 200g down for the men’s MHW Phantom parka, so with fully baffled construction and a fabric I like, that seems the way to go, $280 currently for last years colors of both men’s and women’s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools