Topic

Help me decide on fabrics for apex overquilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help me decide on fabrics for apex overquilt

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Hi,

I’d like to start a myog 2.5 Apex over quilt. Partly to explore condensation management and partly for a pinch of added warmth. This would be used over a 10 degree EE quilt in winter camping. I read through some posts and I haven’t seen recent updated  consensus on idea fabric layers for the top and bottom of an over-quilt.

If the concept is to move the dew point to inside the apex instead of inside the down, then I’m assuming I want a very good temp gradient inside the apex quilt which would be due to the outer and inner fabric dichotomous breathabilities. So…. if this concept is accurate, I guess I’m asking what two different materials would best achieve that while still allowing the down to breath?

– at a basic level I think non-colandered 7-10d nylon vs. rsbtr 0.5 mesh for inner.
    – I’m less comfortable with the concept of the outer … wpb or just dwr, or neither?

id appreciate guidance! Thanks.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

My opinion is maximum breathability on both inner and outer – short of a mesh. My snow camping experience (and i have quite afew years of it ) is that i am the main source of moisture. I have had occasional spindrift invasions, and frost off the inside of my shelter, but mostly the moisture i have had in my down bags has been condensation. Thus, i am not concerned about the water resistance of the exterior of an overbag, so I aimed yo maximize breathability when i made mine. Uncalendared 7 or 10d should be great, allowing moisture to pass out of the down bag readily, while also allowing for fast drying if the day warms up and you can spread it out to dry.

Achieving a temperature gradient within the quilt is more a matter oof how thick the quilt is; at a given outside air temperature, a thicker quilt will have a greater differential between inner and outer shells. Based on that idea it pays to think about the conditions in which you will use your sleep system. Too thin a quilt and the dew point is still in the down bag; too thick a quilt and you are carrying more Apex and less down than would be optimal.

Hanz B
    BPL Member

@tundra-thrasher-ouch-man-2

Thanks. That’s really informative!

– you know on the mesh idea that’s what I want to do – but the. I was thinking – do u perceive an issue with capillary action trapping moisture more then a 7d nylon? I ask because I always see how long dew drops get stuck in the mesh and I wonder if an inner mesh would actually, counterintuitively, hold onto moisture longer then a 7d material.

– what 7d materials are recommended right now?

R
    Spectator

@autox

If you opt for a mesh inner and are concerned about weight, you might want to consider using tulle.  I went to my local fabric shop and bought a half yard of each type they had.  I measured one at 0.25 osy.

RSBTR’s 0.5 osy mesh tents to snag and pull like stockings.  While tulle has a wider mesh, it’s a lot sturdier, and fairly cheap.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

As Rene said.

All the no-see-um mesh I have seen is made with a micro-fibre multi-filament thread. Those very fine fibres can and do snag easily. Unfortunate.

The tulle I bought for my tent is knitted from a single-filament thread. To be sure, the filament is thin, but it is a LOT thicker and stronger than those micro-fibre filaments.

Cheers

Robert F
    BPL Member

@rmfinn3

I have made apex quilts with hyperd1.0 uncalendared and argon90. I think I like the argon90 a bit more. seems like a better balance of wind/water resistance while still maintaining great breathability and hand feel.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

thru-hiker Momentum 50 – 0.7 oz/yd2 – good DWR for outside

I use that for my quilt and the DWR keeps water out as long as it’s not raindrops falling on it

I’ve used RSBTR membrane 0.66 oz/yd2.  Good inside.  Probably fine for outside even if it may not have as good a DWR.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools