Topic

Help: Last minute trip to Anchorage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Help: Last minute trip to Anchorage

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

This is a desperate call for help.  I planned to do a trip through North Cascades and then Rainer over the next couple of weeks.  But the fires and smoke here in WA state have trashed those plans.  It looks like to get away from the smoke I am headed to Alaska.  Been 20 years since I backpacked there.

Can someone suggest a good 4-5 day route. 15-25 mile days are ok.  I can also bring my packraft.  I don’t  even have maps yet to plan, so could use any suggestions from those familiar with the Anchorage area, where I will probably fly in simple due to that is where affordable flights are.

Much appreciated.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Get to the Kenai Peninsula (Lyft, Craigslist, hitching).  Or maybe I could give you a ride. Get to Hope or Seward. Hike to the other one. 75 miles on the Resurrection Trail. A leisurely week. Or a fast-paced 2 days. But I was younger then.

Great scenery, good trail, mild slopes.

I’m less familiar with the trails closer to Anchorage. There are some 2-4 day thru hikes.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

When would you arrive?  I’m passing by ANC Friday evening and could take you to a trailhead.

Stan B
    BPL Member

@stanbiker

I’ll second the Resurrection trail. A couple of other choices would be Kesugi Ridge or Crows Pass, but they are both shorter hikes.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Thank you David.  Awesome suggestion.  I still have to buy a plane ticket, but looking at arriving on Sunday.  The Hope to Seward route sounds perfect.

Another friend of a friend suggested just heading out to Wrangell – St. Elias National Park and making something up there.  Obviously a much longer drive.

I drop off at Hope trailhead would be wonderful, if not too inconvenient.  I do see it is a bit of a drive.  Could make a day hike out of it.  Are finding rides via craigslist a thing there?  I’d rent a car, but then not sure how to get it back if I left it in Hope.  I assume getting back to Anchorage from Seward is not a huge problem.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

What about taking the train from Seward to Anchorage? The Alaska Railroad’s “Coastal Classic” runs daily between Seward and Anchorage, 6pm – 10pm. AK Railroad

By the way, the Kenai Peninsula is really lovely and the Hope -> Cooper Landing -> Seward trail system (aka Resurrection Pass trail to Russian Lakes trail to Resurrection River trail [yeah, 2 “Resurrections”… confusing]) is a great way to see it.

Resurrection Pass Trail (Hope to Cooper Landing)

Russian Lakes Trail (Cooper Landing to Russian Lakes)

Resurrection River Trail (Russian Lakes to Seward)

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Thanks Philip.  I was looking at exactly that series of connections.  and the train back sounds perfect.  Just need to find a way to Hope on the front end.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Yes, Craigslist rideshare is a thing.  Monday, I saw two French tourists trying to get from Kenai to Anchorage, offered them a ride, but they’d already found one. List under both Anchorage and Kenai Peninsula pages. Also consider the Kenai Peninsula Rideshare Facebook page. Rather than just “share gas and driving” I’d offer $50 for the Hope drop-off. I’m hosting a BBQ for the local foreign exchange students on Sunday, so I’m out of pocket unless you flew into Kenai early on Sunday for an early trip out there (or later on Sunday and I could run you out there Monday).

I’m in meetings today, but if you text me at 907-252-2954, I could respond quicker.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Thank you David for the enormous generosity.

Smoke is just starting to clear here in Seattle.  not sure it will hold. So I am wavering on buying the plane ticket. I will text if I pull the trigger.

Separate from my immediate scramble here, next time you do a big trip up there, let me know.  A couple of us down here would love to join.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools