Topic

Help from business owners re trademarking names and logos, please

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Help from business owners re trademarking names and logos, please

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Since I edit…I will keep this first one simple.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Of course I started with google searches and there are plenty of paid ads where they “make it quick and simple”. I went to the USTPO website and browsed for an hour or so, including searching for the name I intend to trademark and I watched most of the tedious video. They recommend getting a lawyer.

I have learned a few things for sure, including that the USTPO will do their own search and can still refuse granting the TM for a number of reasons, that each class of goods needs their own filing and trademarking, that one has to do commerce with the name ( and /or logo) or register a business with the name. Also, it is recommended to trademark the name and the logo separately.

Questions abound and yes, I am looking for a shortcut since I prefer the craft end of things to the business end:

Do I really need a lawyer?

Are there reputable online services that can help me file? Which ones?

Should I just try and get the name trademarked right away and then work on getting the logo filed as well? Should the filing of the logo ( in jpeg) be in just black and white or the colors I am planning to use?

How about a 3 word slogan? Best to do name, logo and slogan all at the same time or secure the name asap and then look into the rest ?

I know this is probably all available online ( an overwhelming amount really) and I don’t expect to get all my help here but I usually get steered in the right direction and I appreciate any help I get here.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Bumping just in case someone here has done this and would be willing to help. I will pay for the help!

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

We trademarked our business name and logo without a lawyer but my wife is smart and highly motivated. I would have used a lawyer.

She got our trademark directly through the USPTO. No intermediary.

We registered name and logo simultaneously but she said you can do the name first.

Logo should be in color, that is part of the trade dress

We dunno about the slogans.

Sorry I can’t be of more help than that.

nunatak
    BPL Member

@roamer

Here’s a view from the other side: We’ve run Nunatak for almost 20 years without any trademarks. Seems fine.

Kinda wish we patented the backcountry quilt back in ’99, tho!

rmeurant
    BPL Member

@rmeurant

Locale: Laniakea

I did a few of these some years ago on behalf of clients. From memory it was reasonably straight forward, but took a while to prepare the appropriate documents, and then there was a considerable delay waiting for the trademark to be advertised (so others could lodge a protest if they considered it infringed their trademark), and then approved. The procedure was fairly fully documented by the trademark authority, it was just a bit of a nuisance to follow.

Although you might be required to submit your logo as a jpeg, it should primarily exist as vector art. Create it in a dedicated drawing program (Inkscape is free), then export it as an .eps to use in any artwork (including letterheads, brochures,  business cards etc.). Then you might need to rasterize it to jpeg in Photoshop or similar for specific needs, such as trademark applications. Submit it in both b/w and color (and greyscale if appropriate) if you can.

You need to follow the search process first for your trademark to ensure that its terms are not already claimed by existing trademark holders. But that process, though rather bureaucratic, was well described.

Sorry, it was quite some time ago, I don’t recall more, and I don’t have the claim materials here to refresh my memory.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks for the help. It us not that I am lazy….I work between 60 and 70 hours a week and then do my camera stuff and a few other things so it would make sense for me to pay someone for the help.

Questions I still have :

The logo….It is simple and has 3 colors but I also want to register the design in black and white because I imagine  I will use both or even in white on the fabric. Can I register a logo in all color variations? Or is each a separate deal….$$$?

USTPO says that once you start the matter is time sensitive and you better have everything lined up and that concerns me.

Trademarking a product needs to be associated with a product one is doing business with, but how soon after the trademark?

Anyway, if someone is willing and able and wants to be paid, I would appreciate it.

I do appreciate the suggestions already…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Ok, I am good to go on the trademarking part :)

The logo  I drew on a doodle app on the ipad and it just needs cleaning up, not looking like I drew it with my finger. It is a very, very simple design so anyone here I could email it too that would be willing and able to take the uneveness/defects out of it?

Will trade you with one of the following:

Noseeum tarp sleeves, ridgeline organizer, detachable mesh pocket for a backpack, beanie, a nice Arcteryx pack that has been in storage and smells like it ( no rodents!!). Or cash :)

Thanks, Katharina

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaron_p

Locale: California

Still looking for help on your logo?  I’m pretty good with Photoshop (or Illustrator if you want a vector drawing).

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Hi Aaron,

I was able to figure some things out on my own but would certainly appreciate some help. Will pm you :)

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Have the name WildPeopleGear, the logo, the URL ( website needs to be made or I will add this to existing mountaingoat page), the email wildpeoplegear at gmail.com. Was advised to get as much social media under the name as I can, even if I don’t use it…so I got “it” a twitter, a Pinterest and an IG. Instagram I will definitively use. Facebook is a no no no here.

There  is more…I am quite busy. I invested money  into another serger, exactly the same one I already have. Made Libby’s old room into a sewing room ( not done yet, I need another counter that folds into the wall when not in use). So I have two sergers and two sewing machines; one set is threaded and set for no see um and the other with ball point needles for knits. I have been sewing different materials, wearing them, washing them again and again.

:):)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools