Topic

Help finding a sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help finding a sleeping pad

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Hey all, I have been a hammock guy for the last 6+ years, so i’m kinda outa the loop on ground dweller stuff. Im looking for a short air mattress in the 3-3.5 foot range, relatively light weight, but durable. Would like something that has a good reputation for not developing slow leaks. It would be for 3 season uses and used on top of a ground sheet. I don’t know if this makes a difference but I will be using a quilt. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

If you want a wide but short ‘off-the-rack’ solution, the NeoAir Trekker in the 47″ x 25″ size would fit the bill, although it is of course a bit longer than your 44″ (3.5ft) ideal. It is made of a more durable material than the Xlites. My older one weighs right at 13 oz but the latest model weighs 16 oz. The one linked above is the older model (like mine) and very well priced… they are now out of production and are only going to get harder to find!

Personally, I cannot stand the 20″ wide mats because my elbows dangle off the sides, which is very annoying.

However, if the 20″ width works for you there are many more choices and it is super simple with any horizontally baffled air mats to cut them down to the desired length and re-seal them. I have done this a few times—even with a very expensive Xtherm max, large size—and have never had any problems. (Measure and mark them when inflated because they lengthen considerably when deflated!)

Richie S
    BPL Member

@landrover

There’s a couple of Klymit pads on Massdrop right now that may be worth checking out.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

Thermarest prolite …. Probably the most durable air pad out there backed by the best warranty

Buy it from REI/MEC so if it doesnt work out its a riskless purchase

;)

KRS
    BPL Member

@krshome

Locale: Virginia USA

Looks like I missed out on the NeoAir at Moosejaw Mike, thanks though for posting it. How are the air mattresses vs. the foam filled self inflating mattresses? Its one more comfortable than the other?

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

I find air mattresses much more comfortable than self inflating (or closed cell, like the Thermarest Z-lite). Night and day difference, if you ask me. They also take much less room in your pack than both self inflating and CCF, and are lighter than self inflating.

One tip that took me longer to learn than it should have: don’t inflate the pad all the way, particularly if you sleep on your back. For me, that causes lower back discomfort.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

i find self inflating works fine …. Comfort is a matter of personal preference

However “self inflating” (you still need a few breaths) foam is much faster and easier to setup …. And in the case of the prolite more durable

;)

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The NeoAir All Season has more durable fabric than even the ProLite series, is about the same weight, but more compact, thicker and warmer.  You would need to cut it down to size of course.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Coming from a hammock background, probably going to be happier with an air mat.

Per Jim C, let some air out so you can sink in and get better support for body contours.

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Many like me find the Xlite to be the perfect combination of weight, comfort and durability. Particularly with a quilt I am not sure about the desirability of shortening it; I like the comfort and warmth of a full (but narrow) pad. I switch to the Xtherm when I think it will drop colder than 20.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

If you snip an air mat …. You void the warranty

and with air mats theres always a decent chance of slow leaks or delamination which enough BPLers have had over the years

not to mention the warranty is one of the best things about thermarest

;)

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Sometimes that’s the only option when you want something in a size they don’t make.

I’ll take my chances and modify rather than carry around an item that is annoyingly not quite right for me.

I have a 25″ x 71″ Xtherm Max in the rectangular format, which I am fairly sure is one of only a very few on the planet. Not a lot of people willing to slice into a brand new $230 air mat!

Aubrey J
    BPL Member

@aub

I recently picked up some UL Pads for my kids and found the Exped SynMat UL7 (size S) on sale. When they arrived, I kinda wanted it for myself, hah. It’s a little more than 3.5ft but only 14oz and the temps suggest 3 season.

Backcountry.com has one for $81 as of the time of this post.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools