Topic

Hello BPL

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lauren M.
    BPL Member

@laurenmcb

I’ve been lurking the website for about a year now and never introduced myself, so I thought it was about time to pop my head in and say hello!

I started spending time in the outdoors around 2009 after graduating from high school. A bit of an anomaly for the women in my family, but my brother is also a huge outdoors-person (currently an underwater cinematographer). Hiked around Bali and nearby islands for a couple of months in 2010, started visiting Yosemite the same year, worked in Colorado near the Wyoming border for a couple of summers and worked at a horse ranch in the Sonoran Desert in Mexico for a month (my time was unfortunately cut short), both of which allowed me to basically live in and explore some really beautiful and secluded areas. I’ve since done a few extended car camping trips and hiking trips abroad, but only (finally) got into backpacking last year. BPL has been a huge help as far as figuring out my own preferences, finding new routes, being able to afford gear (thank you, Gear Swap!!) and just learning more about the outdoors and backpacking in general.

I’m now preparing to hike the JMT in July from Happy Isles with a few good friends, and will be happily sleeping in my Moment DW and lugging around a 14lb baseweight (I know, not super-UL but it works for me) thanks to the tips and resources I’ve found here. Also, just wanted to say from what I’ve seen on the forums, there seems to be a really dedicated, supportive, and largely long-time community here, which has been really cool to see. Thanks everyone!

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

Hi Lauren!

Great to hear about your entrance into backpacking and the help you’ve found on this forum. Indeed, there is a pretty great community here.

I see you’re in the Bay Area – got any plans for this weekend?? We’re having a little get together out at Henry Coe State Park…

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/ggg-2018/

GREAT opportunity to meet lots of BPL’ers in the flesh, check out oodles of UL gear, and have a generally awesome time with a big group of like-minded folks. JOIN US.  :)

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Lauren,

Glad that BPL helped you out to lose weight in your pack.

I wouldn’t worry or have to apologize for NOT having a 10 lb or less pack.

Fact is that BPL is just a tool (a great one in my opinion) for helping you lower the weight of your pack.

I used to carry 90 lbs at one point, which a 135 lb guy should never carry!

(Oh, so much that I did not know back then….like you many BPLers answered all of my questions and helped me out big time).

Honestly, I don’t even know what my base weight is anymore.

What I know is that everything that I have in my pack is carefully considered….I carry just what I need and no more.

Anyway, hello….and YES, if you can make it to the GGG….you will be surrounded by many a Gear Geek.  (Gathering of Gear Geeks).

I will be there too.

P.S. I did the JMT in 2011 and with one week of food, bear canister, water, etc….going out of Muir Trail Ranch South Bound, my pack was 31 to 32 lbs…..it was 18 lbs out of Yosemite Valley. You are going to have an amazing trip!

Tony

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Hi Lauren! Welcome!

14 pounds is a doable baseweight. I was approximately at that baseweight when I hiked the JMT in 2015 but I learned a lot on that trip about what I do and don’t need to bring with me. I carry less now.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Lauren,
    If you can come to the GGG at Henry Coe State Park even for the day on Saturday you will meet a lot of folks who love backpacking. If you can stay overnight that’s great but even just hiking in and out the same day will allow you to meet very encouraging people willing to answer lots of questions about gear, trips, etc. Welcome!

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Welcome

Lauren M.
    BPL Member

@laurenmcb

Hey everyone –

Ahhh!! I wish I knew about this earlier. Thank you so much for the welcomes and invite, unfortunately I’m going to be doing Skyline-to-the-Sea this weekend for a friend’s birthday.

It looks like this might be the last GGG (from the thread)? I hope not – I’d love to attend next time if it happens again.

Tony and Matthew – thanks for the encouragement! I’m hoping after the JMT I’ll have a better idea of what’s necessary or unneccesary for me, things I’d be willing to compromise comfort on or get rid of, etc. I’m a fairly small chick (5’4″, 120lbs), so I think the lower I can get my weight the better. First and foremost I’m ecstatic to be doing the JMT at all, but I’m interested to see what kind of reflections I’ll have coming back too :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools