Topic

Heavy duty dry bag vs Liner for backpack while packrafting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Heavy duty dry bag vs Liner for backpack while packrafting

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Skibbs
    Spectator

@skibbs

Locale: Conifer, CO

I cant afford a packrafting backpack like the epic or porter at this time so I was planning on just putting a 60L Sealline Storm Sack as a liner in my bag (Catalyst) to protect it which I thought would be sufficient, especially since my sleeping bag and clothes will be inside another dry bag.

Is it recommended to have a heavier duty dry bag like the sealline baja?  My trip will only have class 2 rapids.

Ben Brochu
    BPL Member

@crooked_creek-2-2

Locale: Hinterland Outdoors

Even a waterproof pack like the Porter (which I have) will still need waterproof protection for your “dry goods” while packrafting, because of the limitations of the roll top closure while submerged. For a pack liner, it’s more of the closure type that will matter, than how “heavy duty” it is (unless you puncture it of course). The better it holds air, the better it will keep water out. I use a lightweight (30D) pack liner all the way up to class 4, but I make sure it’s sealed properly and I only use it for soft items. Pot, trekking poles, etc I keep separately. If your critical insulation and electronics are in a dry bag, I don’t see why a heavier pack liner is needed. For class 2, I don’t use a liner at all, because if my insulation is dry there is nothing else I carry that can’t get wet.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I think I used that same dry bag a few years ago. Should work but like Ben said check the closure. Mine leaked there a bit once because I didn’t roll it tight enough.

By the way I don’t think the Catalyst is a bad packraft pack. It won’t dry quit as fast but that’s the only real downside I can think of.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Until you flip the demands of packrafting on waterproofing are fairly modest.  If you’re paranoid, the Sealline Nimbus is the lightest submersion-proof bag I’ve used.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools