Topic

Heated Gloves Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heated Gloves Recommendation

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

My partner has Raynaud’s syndrome and is ready to purchase heated gloves for our ski trips this season. The disposable hand warmers are not effective for keeping her finger tips from going numb. Lots of choices. Outdoor Research was suggested (they have several at different price points) but would like more recommendations from those who are using them.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

One very good way to make Raynauds worse it to have tight cuffs, tight gloves. bracelets and watches. They all restrict the flow of blood. I no longer wear a watch: it goes in my pocket.

Cheers

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

I can vouch for Outdoor Research gloves. I’m an ice climber and I’ve never once got the “screaming barfies” (look it up if you haven’t heard of it) using OR gloves. I have four different pair of them for different conditions. Also, a vapor barrier is VERY helpful in keeping hands warm. Latex or nitrile gloves under your gloves acts as a vapor barrier AND doesn’t allow sweat from your hands to degrade the performance of the insulation in the gloves. Lastly, if she is able to deal with a little loss of dexterity, mittens or “lobster” mitts are better at keeping hands warm than gloves are. I use the OR Alti Mitts for my really cold trips.

David C
    BPL Member

@dosenfeld

I know this wasn’t the original question, but one significant advantage of mittens over gloves (as S Long indicates, if you can deal with the loss of dexterity), is the ease of layering with other mitten layers. Lets you adapt to changing conditions with the layering flexibility most of us use for upper body. Layered mitts have been a game changer for me in winter dealing with Raynauds. Not as easy to find as glove liners, but available, and useful in (and over) heated and unheated mitts.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

Thanks for the feedback. I realize I should have said mitts instead of gloves. She always wear mitts (Swamy) with BD liners but within a few runs she’s feeling it. Last Dec at Breck morning temps were in high teens and it didn’t take lone before she was uncomfortable.

Thanks S Long on the OR info. We’ll be Seattle soon and plan on stopping by their main store.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools