Topic

Heat Sink Foams for Backpacks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heat Sink Foams for Backpacks?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Stumphges
    BPL Member

@stumphges

Is anyone aware of thermally conductive foams that have characteristics that would allow them to be used in place of the insulating foams currently used for padding in backpack backpanels, shoulder straps and hipbelts?

Many companies have attempted to vent the foam parts of backpacks, but it occurs to me that the insulation value of the foams used for these parts may be a bigger issue than their relative lack of ventilation. E.g. Gossamer Gear recently started offering a removable foam backpanel with air channels as an alternative to the egg crate foam they’ve used for many years in the Gorilla, et al. If this foam also conducted heat aware from the back, I think it would be far more effective.

If thermally conductive foams with necessary comformability, hardness, resilience, hydrophobicity, etc. were available, it seems that backpacks could be made much more comfortable.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

The heat would have to go somewhere though, but with the foam on outside, like GG and some others, maybe it dissipates with any air current?  Fwiw think the old (long discontinued) Mountainsmith Auspex had foam channels done right; 2 long rectangular foam pieces encased in mesh lengthwise along the back.  Basically empty air all around them unless really cinching the pack down hard.

Still think suspension is the way to go.

I’d like to see a tighter. less voluminous Zpacks Arc?, maybe crossed with their Nero.   Also a simpler (= lighter) multiday Osprey Talon in desert friendly colors.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools