Topic

Heat Exchanger pots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Heat Exchanger pots

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    Gregory Stein
    BPL Member

@tauneutrino

Locale: Upper Galilee

David, To make heaters I was mixing potassium permanganate with sugar powder. At the time of need, add some water or snow, shake well. You are done :)

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Theoretical discussions about the physics of backcountry cooking on this forum are some of the most entertaining reading on the web. I have (usually) dismissed exotic materials and complex designs in the past because the returns (fuel savings, etc.) often fall far short of justifying the investment, but the exercise itself is amusing and intellectually challenging, so I have decided that it’s a worthwhile way to blow a little free time.

So, just for the sake of entertainment, I’ll be starting some MYOG threads in the next month or two on pot, stove, and windscreen designs that are unnecessarily complex and which employ exotic materials. These will be the backpacking equivalent of ball point pens made of aerogel and carbon nanotubes. They’re just amusing puzzles and they are meant to elicit a chuckle. I have some exotic materials on hand that I’ve never had before (like silicate-matrix carbon fiber composite materials that tolerate direct flame), and I plan to use them to fabricate some half-baked and far-fetched cooking kit designs. So, if you have some pie-in-the-sky ideas for ultralight backcountry cooking gear, share them here.

(moderators, feel free to move this thread to MYOG if you think it’s necessary)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

like!

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Good discussions going on in this thread also about conserving heat coming off our little canister stoves.

Viewing 4 posts - 51 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools