Topic

headlamp suggestions – for running

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) headlamp suggestions – for running

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I know this isn’t exactly backpacking related but I think there are enough runners here that can help.

During the summer I normally run in the mornings before work (during the school year I have to take my son to school before work so I have to run after work) and since I have to be at work at 7:00, that means running before sunrise.  I usually didn’t run with a headlamp as its a (rural) residential area with enough lights to see, especially on a route that I run regularly.  Last year I started seeing a lot of skunks (2-3 every morning) so I started taking my headlamp, but it’s an older lamp (Mammot S-Lite) and my primary focus when I bought it in ~2010? was to get the lightest weight headlamp that used regular batteries (it uses a single AA).  That still works fine for backpacking, but I think I would like a brighter light for early skunk detection.  Any suggestions?   This doesn’t have to replace the S-Lite as my backpacking headlamp but it could if it was light enough and lasted long enough for a weeks trip.

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

I would suggest a zebralight H53w or H53Fw, depending on how far away Pepe le Pew is. The F is more floody, so it will not throw out as far.

Seth R
    BPL Member

@lerxst

Locale: Northeast

I just picked up a Petzl Bindi a few weeks back and think it’s a pretty solid choice. Weighs next to nothing and has three useful modes. Makes a good backup for hiking too.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hi brad-  those early morning skunks are everywhere in my neighborhood too, up all night digging up grubs on my lawn. My dog has killed three of them effectively getting skunk oil  all over our house siding in the process. One day I saw one waltzing up my street so I walked to end of the driveway clapping and shouting loudly thinking it would run off scared, no, it full on challenged me, haunches up walking  straight toward me like “test me? You know I’m a skunk, right?” I turned and ran screaming like a little girl…skunk won! Being in the badger family, they routinely and courageously stand off predators much larger than themselves…

as for a decent skunk spotting light, I’m not really sure. There’s probably a lightweight higher lumen white light than the one you own, but maybe one that has a bonus green light function would work too? Nocturnal animals supposedly can’t see green light very well, and may be easier on your eyes for prolonged use than white or red? Hunters and folks who use NV goggles in groups to keep “blooming” down use green… I’m not an expert just a suggestion!

And one with a built in clothespin for your nose and ten-foot-carbon-fiber pole attachment…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I encountered a skunk on the trail

Same thing, I made noises and it just walked towards me, more ignoring me than challenging me

Throwing rocks didn’t help until I started hitting it in the side with rocks (small rocks, no skunks hurt).  Then it started off the trail a bit.  Then a long stick between me and it shooed it off the trail some more and I could get around it.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

We have skunks in the back yard. The babies are super cute. They don’t seem to spray if you don’t do anything rash. Once I was sitting in my living room and one of them suddenly appeared just walking around like he owned the place. I gently suggested he leave and followed him out the door.

As for lights, you might consider a petzl e+light. Although to be honest, the only reason I have one is that it fell off some runner or cyclist one morning and I found it in the street. The bindi looks like it might be more secure.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Fenix HM50R. Light enough, USB rechargeable (as long as you have a rechargeable battery in it). Long lasting. It’s my backpacking headlamp, have never had an issue with it.

Chris W
    Spectator

@treefarmer

My recommendation is for a running headlamp, which for me differs significantly from a hiking/ walking/ camp chores one. The biggest differences are sustained output vs occasional high intensity bursts and comfort in a much more dynamic motion pattern (running). I wind up having to train for ultra marathons at night (run in, camp, run out in the morning) and I prefer something that’s pretty versatile. I’ve also spent hundred (thousands?) of hours with headlamps dating back to my days training and sled dogs with lots of chores and training hours after dark north of the 45th parallel

I like the Coast HL27 because it meets my requirements (below). I know a few guys who use it as their hard hat headlamp when they’re working night shift and it seems fairly durable.

1. Balanced weight front to back. I find this to be more important when running long periods.
    2. A wide headband and a top strap to keep it from sliding down my head and bouncing around without being super tight. I dislike things pinching my head when I’m wearing a lamp for hours on end. I can’t handle the shock cord straps, regardless of how light they are. They just bug me after awhile.
    3. Versatile in terms of lumens (1 to 330) and beam pattern (flood to spot).
    4. Usable across multiple seasons. Both the intensity and beam pattern are adjustable with one hand while wearing light gloves.
    5. Weather resistant  since I don’t often get to pick nice weather when I train.
    6. Long lasting. It will last me all night (if needed) running trails.
    7. Reasonably cheap. You can regularly find it for $35, and occasionally for under $30
    8. Easy to replace batteries.This one takes the ubiquitous  AAs. Rechargeable batteries work fine in mine.

No, it’s not the lightest thing ever at 7.2 oz with alkaline or 6.1 oz with lithium batteries, but it takes AAs and it simply works for almost everything I care to tackle, from camp chores to technical trail running.

If I ever get to a point where I want to run a hundred miler then I might look around a bit for something lighter, but it seems like a solid choice thus far.

Good luck!  There’s a lot of good choices out there.

Regards,

Chris

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I actually greatly prefer handhelds for running.  Having the light above my eyes tends to wash out detail, highlight dust in front of my face, and significantly mess with depth perception for rocks/dips/roots, etc.  I find that just about anything handheld works far better at casting slight shadows low to the ground, thus helping with depth perception on technical stuff.  When running I also find it more intuitive to be able to point the light where my eyes are looking without moving my head- like flicking the light to identify a flanking skunk.    I often strap my BD Spot (with rechargeable batteries) around my knuckles for this reason.

Chris W
    Spectator

@treefarmer

Wisner –  That’s a great point!  For run commute and skunk patrol I think I’d prefer a hand held too. My experience tends to be in a situation where I need to use my hands to eat, drink, or even scramble a bit in and out of small gullys.  I’ve fallen far more times with a hand held light while trying to eat something on the move than I care to admit.

I’ve also noticed that losing depth perception seems to be pretty individual and a function of the light source too. I have more issues with some headlamps than others and some of my friends have no issues with a light that I can’t stand. I wish I understood more about  why that is. Beam pattern?  Color?

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

This and many other ultra and trail running questions are discussed at length on the ultrarunning email list.

The link above gives you pointers on how to search the archives – you’ll find many threads on running in the dark with lamps.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Skurka may have article on this

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I’ll echo the preference for the handheld. Much like Wisner I find that having the light streaming down in front of my face can be somewhat annoying especially if its dusty/foggy. Nitecore seems to have some good handhelds, although I have no experience with them. I will often use my nitecore nu25 or BD Spot just in my hands. Recently I have been using a random costco special that came it a 3 pack. About 3.5in long. I replace the AAAs about once every 2 months.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Or try a waist belt, just below the navel.  Lowers the angle, thus casting more shadow/detail, but keeps the hands free.  I converted an old Petzl Tikka with a piece of webbing and a ladder lock buckle.  I think Skurka said something about hiking with a waist light on his blog somewhere, but I’ve seen it in the mountain running community for a long time.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I’ve played with headlamps that I converted to waist lamps because my depth perception is so much better that I’m not tripping over roots, bumps, and dips.  And yet, I usually use a hand-held light.  It’s far easily to flick my hand left or right for a bend in the trail or up for a tree branch than to rotate my hips around.

Ideally the handheld has a clip on it so you can hang it on your waist band during two-handed tasks (water bottle, snack, nav device, etc) and then go back to handheld use.  Zebralights with their right-angle head and clip work well that way, although while handheld, I prefer a straight light, not a right angle one.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

But with a right angle one (like my Fenix), I’d think you could easily make a strap to go around your hand, as Craig talks about, which would then free up your hands for whatever you want to do with them…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools