Topic

Have Packraft…will travel! (Koko-Nervana w/splashdeck)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Packrafting Have Packraft…will travel! (Koko-Nervana w/splashdeck)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Locale: "Top-of-Utah"

I picked up my first Packraft…a very lightly used Kokopelli Nervana w/splashdeck from a BPL member. (Thanks!) I have white water rafted on big rafts & big rivers very limitedly in Idaho & Canada, kayaked a bunch with 10′ lake kayaks in lakes & slower rivers in Idaho & Utah (Little to no WW.) & also kayubed several class 2 & some 3’s in Idaho, Utah & Canada. (Tubing with kayak paddles & PFD’s in summer only…very fun but has pros & cons.) And of course I backpack. So packrafts are totally the next logical progression of things for me. But watching so many YouTube videos of packrafting WW, especially spring run off rivers, I think it’s time to up my game & need input.

I live in Northern Utah & I’m basically looking to learn, mentor & join an experienced WW group in the area that wouldn’t mind a fast learning motivated newbie. Also, looking for recommendations for a dry suit etc. (6’1″, 200#) for the colder waters in the spring…and anything else. I’m VERY interested in doing a pack trip on the Escalante & the Snake near Jackson Hole in 2020 or maybe the Salmon or rivers near Island Park Idaho. I look forward to hearing from you all.

TOU

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Dang…was hoping to meet up with some folks from Utah or Idaho. I guess I will have to explore on my own or talk another newbie buddy to join me. 😊

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Sorry the packraft forum isn’t super busy here. Check out Facebook. There are some pretty active groups in Wyoming.  And check out the APA Packraft Round Up over the summer.  Great place to learn and make connections.  I’m in Alaska now so I’m out of that scene.

TOU-47
    BPL Member

@tou-47

Thx so much for your reply Luke, I really appreciate it. I hear Alaska has amazing virtually unexplored rivers.

Previously I had looked around on the APA site. Good info but it doesn’t seem like their forums are much more active either. I checked out a bunch on the APA 2019 rlRoundup. That looks great & it seems fun was had by all. (I also signed up for APA.) Dan Ransom who I’ve watched many of his fantastic YouTube videos, spoke highly of it as well. However, I didn’t see anything on a date & location for a 2020 Roundup. Thoughts?

Anyone know of a group or club etc. in south-eastern Idaho or northern Utah?

All the best!

TOU

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools