Topic

has anyone seen this with headlamp batteries?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) has anyone seen this with headlamp batteries?

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

“I must say I’m kind of shocked with how many non-rechargeable headlamps there still are on the market, but that is a topic for another thread.”

True, but there’s still a place for replaceable batteries, especially among adventure racers, fastpackers, hunters, and people who must plan on the potential of pushing well into the darkness.  Lithium is still the lightest/most powerful option if you’re pulling an all-nighter and need to carry spares…something I know Mike considers.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ true that :)

also I was under the impression that Lithium primaries outclassed other batteries (rechargeable or else wise) in the cold

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You could have two USB rechargeable headlamps.  When one dies, switch to the other.  Then recharge the first one.

The Iota runs maybe 2 hours on high, 8 hours on low (although they say it runs 20 hours on low).  Hmmm… they don’t seem to sell that anymore.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I do have a battery tester with a digital voltmeter in it, but it is of limited use with Lithiums. That applies even with pulse testing, where you draw something like 200 mA briefly. I KNOW that, so as long as the voltage is high enough, I keep using the battery.

As a matter of policy, all my gear uses AA Lithiums these days. On longer trips, given the light weight of the Lithiums, I carry a spare AA cell.

Cheers

Steve B
    BPL Member

@geokite

Locale: Southern California

A “USB rechargeable headlight” without user replaceable batteries is kinda limiting.  Gotta bring a power brick if you risk running out of power?  Much lighter to bring a spare battery if your headlight can accept it.

For those of you who would have a power brick no matter what, there are AA rechargeable batteries that can be recharged via USB (by Fenix).  And Olight has a RCR123 (16340) that can be recharged via USB.  Great options that open up great lights by Zebralight, Olight, etc.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I just received the ZTS MTB-1 tester that has both lithium AAA primary and alkaline AAA test posts- big difference when I measure what were once thought of as “good” batteries when measuring them on the alkaline post of my ZTS Mini tester.  Batteries that were showing 80+% on the alkaline post, show 20-40% on the lithium post.

Appears mystery solved :)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I have an interesting graphic which shows two differences between alaklines and lithiums.

The biggest difference is in the Service Hours scales. They are very different.
    A less obvious difference but one which is very important is the amount of sag in the curves. The Lithium curve is a lot flatter until in nose-dives, while the alkaline sags steadily all the way down. This is why a battery tester calibrated for alkalines is really not all that useful on Lithiums.

Cheers

Viewing 7 posts - 26 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools