Topic

Handheld VHF for Kayaking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Other Activities Handheld VHF for Kayaking

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I’m looking for a handheld, floating, submersible VHF radio with DSC / man overboard feature that charges via USB. There are two manufacturers in this space that I’m aware of: Standard Horizon and ICOM, and both of their models run on proprietary Li batteries that require 12v or house current and a charging cradle. I’d rather use USB so I can recharge from a battery bank if doing an overnight trip.

Wondering if I missed a brand or charging method. Yes, I know the SH radio can also run on traditional batteries but that limits its output power to 1 watt.

Thanks

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

I have a Standard Horizon HX300, and an Icom IC-M25.

The HX300 is quite a few years old, and the M25 is about two years old. They are both good units and pretty much do the same thing. The battery compartment on the HX300 is very easy to get into, and I have replaced the battery once.

Both float and both have a light that activates when in the water so that if you drop it in the dark you can find it. The ability to charge via USB is the main reason why I have these units.

I’m not sure what you mean by a man overboard feature.

Edit: I looked up the DSC system and it wasn’t something that I was familiar with. Obviously neither of the radios I’m talking about have that feature. It seems like any rescue vessels in the area would also need to have that VHF channel 70 feature enabled.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Locale: RTP

Have you looked at any USB 5V to 12V convertors? You’re gonna loose some efficiency but it might work for your application. Need to see what input current is required. That might be work a try to see how much recharge you actually need. There are also 12V battery banks used for CPAPs if you need more capacity. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P87JTVT/ref=emc_b_5_t

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Something like this is good to maybe to 12V @ 0.8A. Make sure to disconnect before transmitting and just use for charging. https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Voltage-Converter-Transformer-Regulator/dp/B074R7FDCR?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thanks Chris, that might be an elegant solution

The DSC basically encodes your messages with the GPS coordinates so that other boats in the area and the CG  with the same tech can pinpoint your location, rather than you having to look at a screen and read them over the air. The MOB feature is a button that transmits that GPS data packet.

That DSC also enables you to “direct dial” another DSC radio, but mostly I want the safety feature so that if I’m ever in the water I don’t have to guess my location. It’s shame they haven’t shrunken the tech because the current DSC radios are noticeably larger than the HX300 Phil has. Becomes an issue when you have to carry other stuff in yourPFD and now add a not-so-small handheld radio.

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Did you cross post this question anywhere else? Another board I sometimes visit is called westcoastpaddler.com, and there are lots of sea kayaking enthusiast from California, the Pacific Northwest, and BC that hang out there. Quite knowledgeable on all topics regarding human-powered recreational boating. If you want, I could start a thread over there with this question.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I put it on Reddit and got a reply about a USB transformer. The only online paddling community I belong to (international message board) has taken a turn toward mean spirited holier-than-thou posts, so I won’t post there anymore. My local club is strictly face to face and hasn’t come out of hibernation. I’d appreciate the help if you’re willing. My hunch is those are the only two DSC radios and I’ll just have to live with it, if that’s a feature I really  want (part of me is juggling between DSC radio or smaller HX 300 type + a separate PLB….some of them are very compact now.

Chris FormyDuval
    BPL Member

@chform

Here’s a cable that should work if your portable charger is USBc with a 12v option. Make sure to check polarity and may have to splice in the correct plug depending on radio. https://www.amazon.com/Blind-SPOT-Adapter-Device-Battery/dp/B08CCX5S96

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

I cross posted the question to westcoastpaddler and barely got a nibble. I think you are on your own.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thank you for trying. Much

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Let me try that again. Thank you for trying very much appreciated

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thanks again Philip. I’m still searching and I may be in a minority of people who care. There’s a recent post on North Shore Paddlers network where a member is concerned about battery life in his DSC radio, but most of the conversation is centered around power consumption when in standby mode and using regular OTC batteries as an alternative.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools