Topic

Hammock refresh…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock refresh…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ve been sleeping on the ground on all of my trips for the last five or six years. I have decided that I want to return to hanging on some trips. My current setup is an open gathered-end hammock with prototype suspension I beta-tested for Dutchware and a Warbonnet Superfly (which my wife uses when we go camping or the rare instance she agrees to backpack with me). I’d like to lose weight, keep things compact and update to a more flexible, easy suspension. I also want a lightweight and comfortable option that includes mosquito protection.

I am considering the following purchases and would like feedback or suggestions before I acquire these:

• Dutch Half-Wit in Hexon 1.0 or 1.2 (I’m around 160# and 5’6”)
    • 15’ Warbonnet Dyneweave straps with fishhooks to be used with a becket hitch
    • Warbonnet Minifly Tarp

Any thoughts on any of this?

The most extreme place I’ll likely take this would be a casual  June/July trip somewhere in the Sierras like Sabrina Basin. For trips in AZ with lower bug pressure I would swap out for my open hammock.

I don’t think I want a DCF tarp given the bulk that bringing an UQ already entails. I do want some kind of end coverage for windy rain rather than a diamond/hex tarp.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I have the Minifly tarp in sil-poly. Low stretch and no apparent ‘relaxing’ of the fabric after setup. It has given good coverage during a couple of rains, thus far, and it packs down small.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh! Nice to get some feedback on that.

I am thinking of having it sewn with a middle guyout point too. I probably wouldn’t use it often but the option to throw another piece of line on it when the weather is heavy is appealing. Maybe I’d carry a hank of David’s woven fishing line for that application. I probably wouldn’t bring stakes for it, I’d just wrap the line around a rock or tie off to a plant.

I will probably go with silnylon for strength but silpoly is tempting. Do you have the 20d or 30d? Would you get it again?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Hi Matthew

I haven’t been hanging as much and wanted to more as well.  I did not take my hammock to the Sierra, but usually wished I had.  I would have preferred a full net since with the Scouts we were often in camp early and huddled down for the storms – perfect time to relax if you can.  When the sun comes back out it would warm up fast in the tent and I wasn’t always ready to get up for dinner.  It was nice to be fully enclosed at that point – something like the Dutchware Half-Zipped.  At 407.7g for Hexon 1.o it’s a smidge lighter and about the same cost as the Hammeck Netty I picked up 6-ish years ago – I ended up with a righty and lefty, I liked it so much.  The Dutchware Half-Zipped fabric is lighter, but it has a lot more attachment options, which I would have taken in hindsight (if it had been available).

FWIW – I picked up a used half-wit to try it out.  I’m not sure if I still have or not, but I’ll look and IM you if I do.  Around home or car camping I just go for the Warbonnet Blackbird XLC because weight doesn’t matter, and backpacking I’ll use one of the Nettys.

I agree the diamond/hex tarp might not be sufficient – especially with those afternoon Sierra storms.  I started with a Zpacks diamond hex, and then a Superfly, but eventually I sold my Superfly and got a Hammock Gear standard tarp with doors.  It’s probably bulkier than some silpoly tarps, but with the two cuben tarps I really stopped shopping.  Warbonnet has so many more choices now – I might go for a 20D Silpoly Minifly if I was starting off, but I wouldn’t trade out the Hammock Gear tarp for it.

Following along to see what’s new with suspensions.  You didn’t mention insulation, and that’s an expensive place to save ounces, but know you can save ounces with a warmer weather TQ/UQ if you are willing

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

I have the Warb Minifly 20D poly and the HG Journey poly 20D.

I typically carry the Minifly as the conditions in SoCal and the sierras are pretty mild. My minifly is right at 16 oz including the stuff sack, 6 guy lines, ridge line, Dutch Hook worms and Flyz, and DCF snake skin. I was debating getting the DCF tarp with door but that’s about the same weight as the minifly so the cost doesn’t really make sense.

The HG 20D feels more substantial than the Warb 20D for some reason. My Minifly is kinda crinkly and thinner feeling than the HG Journey. I have not had any tears or issues with either tarp, but the minifly feels like it would be easier to puncture. Personally, my Minifly is meant to be my lightweight fly option, so I would get the 20D again.

The small beaks of the minifly add a lot of protection compared to a hex tarp and I think it’s the best lightweight hammock tarp for my uses.

A couple points about it – it only has corner (+beak) tie outs, none in the center of the panels and lacks panel pulls as well. This means in high wind the large panels can catch the wind and the Minifly is blown into your hammock more readily than a tarp with panel pulls. The lack of central tie downs + panel pulls + the crinkly 20d means it can be somewhat noisy in a sustained wind but its never kept me up all night. Sometimes a gust will rouse me though.

This would be nearly the perfect tarp if they added the tie downs. Sounds like you can have them add center tie downs and I would recommend that. If they’ll do it, I think panel pulls are worth the weight as well.

The HG journey is a few oz heavier at ~21oz fully rigged. I use it on shorter trips or when the chance of rain is high, I know it will be very windy, or its cold (<30f) + some wind. The panel pulls make it feel more roomy, and compensate for some wind loading of the panels. Plus the full doors really block the wind, and the wider width means you can pitch it very low to the ground for crappy conditions.

I recommend and would buy both tarps again

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I love my hammock set up. Dutchware chameleon. I always use the bug net even in winter. I love how modular the system is and you can add or remove things to it. I use a side car which is perfect to keep jacket that im not wearing or anything i meed access to when not in hammock and and night, i keep my shoes/boots in there.

I do use it with DCF tarps.. HOWEVER..  if i was to do it again, I would NOT use DCF and would 100% go silpoly! In fact, I may even sell of all my DCF tarps and buy new Silpoly ones..

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

I have the 20d. I’ve only gotten to use it 3-4 times, so far. Extra tie-outs might be nice because it’s kind of a long run and I do kind of worry about high winds.

Yes I’d buy it again. It’s a palace compared to a Golite poncho, and it handles rain better.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Hammock Gear customer here. I bought a DCF tarp for weight savings and Wow factor. It’s nice, but not WOW nice. I actually prefer the silver-nylon tarp that came with the kit. The DCF isn’t as bulky as people complain about, it doesn’t compress as small but it’s still not a burden. I just prefer the feel and handling of oil-nylon or poly. If I were to do it over, I’d save the money and put it toward another quilt or under quilt to extend the temp range of the kit.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Interesting that nobody is pointing towards 30d silpoly or silnylon. I will probably sleep better in gusty winds with silnylon. Also I have tripped over my guylines 100 times so I appreciate something with a little give.

Assuming I go with the Minifly I will definitely get the center guyouts. I probably won’t bring extra stakes and instead use a rock or plant if the center guyouts are needed.

I have an HG premium Phoenix 20° UQ. My TQ is an HG Burrow 20°. As a warm sleeper this is more than I need in the summer but I don’t see replacing either at the moment but I could easily go to 30° quilts.

I’m hearing lots of love for full zip bugnets. I never enjoyed zipping in/out of the Hennessy I started with. I used it some early in the pandemic in my yard and found it a pain. I think I will like the simplicity of the Half-Wit. I hike in long pants so I should be good for afternoon lounging if their are skeeters (maybe a windshirt over my socks/feet).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Is 15’ a rational length for straps used with a becket hitch? It seems to me like most trees I would hang from on the east side of the crest (like Sabrina Basin) or along the JMT are smaller than 3’ diameter. That leaves 5-6’ for suspension. I could carry an amsteel dogbone for big trees but maybe it makes sense to carry a 15’ strap and an 18’ strap? Any thoughts?

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Just got back from a weekend trip with my go-to hammock – a Dutchware Halfwit.  We were expecting temperatures to hit a low of the high 20’s and were quite surprised when my high/low thermometer registered 18 overnight.  I didn’t believe it and thought my device was malfunctioning until I went to my 2-liter Platy and it was almost completely frozen solid – That wouldn’t have happened if temps were near freezing.

Anyway, I mention that because I believe the Halfwit probably added about 10 degrees (and maybe more) to my comfort zone.  The instant I pulled away the bug netting from my upper torso it felt like I was stepping outside without a jacket.  I was really surprised – I normally take a netless hammock when I’m not expecting bugs and packed this one because we were looking at highs in the low 70’s during the day.  Don’t want the net around your face?  Just put your feet on that end.

In PA most of our forests were clear-cut about 120 years ago so the biggest trees we have are probably 18-24″ in diameter.  My optimal straps (with whoopie slings and a marlin spike hitch) are a 10′ and a 12′.  It really gives me the flexibility to sleep almost anywhere in PA.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

KEVIN! Thank you for sharing your experience. It makes sense that a bugnet would keep a bubble of warmer air near your torso.

Marcus
    BPL Member

@mcimes

Kevin or anyone,

I see the half wit could save me significant weight over my Wide Chameleon (saves 10oz with the bug net or almost 1lb with the winter top cover).

I’m 6’1″ and concerned the 10’6″ non-wide half-wit may be a bit small for me. How large are you and can you compare the half wit comfort to a full size/wide hammock like the Wide chameleon, Blackbird XLC, or other?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Any thoughts on how to rig the ridgeline of the Minifly? I have used Lash-It and Dutch Flys and Stingers in the past. I don’t like how the Lash-It tangles and nor do I like keeping track of tiny titanium bits.

I’m leaning towards maybe rigging it with 2mm Lawson GloWire and using Skurka’s McCarthy Hitch and/or Trucker’s Hitches.

I wonder if there are any other good ways to do this but I don’t want to deal with Hammock Forums. I think BPL understands my interest in maximizing simplicity while minimizing weight.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

@Marcus – Sorry, I missed you question last week.  I’m a big guy – 6′ and 270 lbs and I’m really comfortable in the Halfwit.  The knotty mods make a difference and really seem to help with the flat lay when you’re diagonal.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

“BPL understands my interest in maximizing simplicity while minimizing weight”

maximizing simplicity/minimizing weight.

The BPL golden rule. Or should be.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Agreed. Also low volume is nice.

Still leaning towards a large hank guyline and some knots. I like the idea of putting the tarp away without little pokey titanium bits. I think I have some 1.5mm guyline from Paria that seems stiffer than MLD’s thin stuff (which is much much stiffer than Zing-It).

Michael S
    BPL Member

@michael-songster

I have a Warbonnet Mamajamba and have stayed dry through some serious storms with it so can imagine the added coverage of the Minifly would feel very safe. I switched to full DIY kit to cut weight and have the little line locs at the ridge line connections and guy out points on my tarps. I use lash it for guy line and though it may tangle, cause it’s so slippery it untangles really easily, I cinch it into the line loc and pull a half hitch with a bight against it, it’s super adjustable and I haven’t had it slip. I’m sure you could secure them to the d rings or whatever Warbonnet has at their tie out points. I’m with you I don’t want to stuff some sharp metals bits into a stuff sack with my tarp.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Postscript on this thread, just in case anyone is interested in weights and initial impressions.

Warbonnet Dynaweave Straps with their Fishhooks
    I like the Becket hitch setup a lot. It’s very simple and I like the ability to tie it close to a tree or farther away.

Warbonnet Minifly
    The new tarp is great. I feel very good about the amount of coverage it provides. It’s definitely quite a bit smaller than my Superfly and I’m not sure why would ever want to bring the Superfly on a trip. My wife likes the SF when car camping so I will keep it around.

Dutchware HalfWit Hammock
    Love this although I am surprised how much the netting stops the breeze. The netting provides more coverage than I was expecting, extending well past my waist. i like the simplicity of not dealing with a zipper to get in and out of the nettings. The knotty mod takes the slack out of the side of the hammock surprisingly well which is really nice.

Overall weight of this setup (including my HG Phoenix 20° UQ which is overkill for summer trips) is 1294 grams. That’s 268 grams (9.4 ounces) more than my heavier ground sleeping (YMG silpoly Cirriform Min + full inner net + NeoAir Women’s pad) which seems like a reasonable weight penalty for the comfort a hammock can provide on the right trip.

I also have the Min tarp in DCF and a bivy which brings the weight Δ to 421 grams (or 14.7 ounces) on trips where I am prioritizing weight over comfort.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Glad to hear that you went with the HalfWit – I think you’ll find it works really well.  The breeze-blocking “feature” is, I believe, what added about 10 degrees to my warmth factor when I was using it down to 18 degrees.  If you want to catch the breeze, then chances are good that bugs may not be a big issue, so spin yourself around and put your feet in the netting end.  Because of the dual knotty-mods it won’t make a difference with the comfort.  I’ve done that a couple of times when I took that hammock and didn’t need the bug protection.  It’s the versatility of the HalfWit that I love so much.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a good point. Breezes do lessen the need for a bugnet but it’s the times where it is more still where the bugs and heat happen. Still, I don’t typically go backpacking or camping when it’s really hot out so this is not a huge problem.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Not sure whether you found a satisfying tarp ridgeline setup. I like using the combination of Nana Claws and two Loop Alien pieces of hardware, one open, one closed. Easy, fast adjustment, very workable with gloves. I bought the hardware separately and used the cord I already had.

https://loopalien.com/products/titanium-continuous-ridgeline

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I haven’t seen that particular setup before. Thanks for sharing it. I’ve currently have 18’ of Lawson Ironwire on each with no hardware. My intention is to use a McCarthy, Trucker’s or Timber Hitch. I didn’t want to use Zing-It because it is too prone to tangling in my experience and wanted to avoid hardware that could abrade a packed tarp. The CRL avoids the second issue and this setup would be a little lighter than the Lawson line.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Hi Matthew, it’s been about a year since you started this thread. I’m at the So-Cal hang and someone mentioned going to an AZ hang, which I had never heard about. Have you been out hanging more in the last year?  How have these choices held up?  Being here and seeing the rigs got me thinking about new hammock gear again.

Tim (Slowhike) Garner
    BPL Member

@slowhike

Locale: South East U.S.

Speaking of hangs, I’m guessing most, if not all of you are familiar with Hammock Forums.

In the Forums section you can scroll down to “Hangouts, Campouts and Trip Planning”, then click on your region to see what’s being planned.

Some are group hangs of various sizes and some are smaller backpacking trips.

A great way to meet people, learn and share.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools