Topic

Hammock in the desert

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock in the desert

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by D M.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Yes, it can be done. Santa Rita Mountains just north of Patagonia.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Nice view!  I’m really happy to see that you were able to make the hammock work!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Awesome! Did you know of that spot or just happen to find it?

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

I used one in Salt Creek in the Needles, Grand Gulch, and a float on the San Juan from Bluff to Mexican Hat. Used some skinny little willows 2nd night in the stretch past the Government Rapids  where you always see Ellen’s desert bighorns. (Eating Stone, Ellen Meloy, great read)

I seriously considered using one in the Wind River Range as it would solve the problem of finding even a sorta flat footprint but decided the storm/wind risk made that maybe not a great idea. If I lived around there and didn’t have to plan a trip months ahead and had a better idea of the weather that would definitely be an option that would open up a lot of campsite options. From what I saw of the Chiricahuas I don’t see why a hammock wouldn’t be great there as well. Gets you off the ground away from the ants,  no-shouldered creatures and also those weird/scary little land lobsters with poisonous stingers.

D M
    BPL Member

@farwalker

Locale: What, ME worry?

Obx, yes that’s why I went to the hammock recently, the scorpions, rattlesnakes and centipedes are many here. Dirtbag my husband and I hiked wayyyy into a remote area off the AZT to check a series of water tanks he googled, he loves caves so went to look for one and I climbed a hill to wait and found two barely suitable trees surrounded by cowpies. The view was awesome.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools