Topic

Hammock advice plz

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Hammock advice plz

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m thinking about trying a hammock setup again. I think I’d like to replace my suspension because reasons so I’m wondering what makes sense today? The becket hitch looks really simple. I’m thinking of ordering 15’ UHMWPE from Dutch and then using a becket hitch to a continuous loop on the hammock. Does that make sense?

Dutch quotes 2.4g/ft so that’s 72 grams for 30’ of tree strap. That seems pretty light and very simple.

Any thoughts?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’m not up to speed on the newer webbing options (in the last year or 2), but used 1/2 mule tape straps in the past with a becket hitch (or slippery sheet bend) from Anti-gravity gear.  It’s not recommended as a replacement for a hugger for tree protection, but I often add it to a hugger or wrap it a few times to distribute the impact.

I typically use Dutch kevlar webbing with a Dutch clip and whoopie slings with a whoopie hook to continuous loops on my hammock.  I guess that’s so 2017 and not the lightest, but it’s super convenient and that’s what I have.  I carry the muletape as a backup and extension if needed.  It also comes in handy for short distances because the whoopie has a minimum length.  The hitch works great on 1/2″ and is easy to adjust.

I guess I’m curious about the tradeoffs with UHMWPE and the spider web, which is even lighter at 1.5g/ft.  They say these don’t work with buckles, presumably too slippery?  Will that affect the knot hold?  Kevlar huggers seem too hard for a becket hitch and are heavier anyway.  I think half-inch mule tape may even be heavier at ~3.1g/ft.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Matt,

When I switched to hammocks, I ran through just about every option. I tried cinch buckles, whoopie slings, UCRs, and Marlinspike hitch to whoopie. Finally, I tried the becket hitch with a straight Dyneema strap and haven’t looked back. It’s a wonderfully simple setup and has never failed me. I personally use the black venom straps from RBTR but any straps will do. I just liked the black. :)

Also, in regards to slipping. It’s correct that these straps are all too slick for cinch hardware. However, MANY folks over on hammock forums are using them with becket hitches with zero slippage, including myself. They lock in great and the slippery nature of the strap allows the knot to release a little easier.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I have been using Dutch spider poly straps with beetle buckles. Simple fast and they work well. Not the lightest but it easy and fast and works well for me in all seasons in all weather.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

My 2016 setup was the Spider Straps but they were called something different then. The Dutch Clips and the Cinch Bugs. This setup worked really great for me aside from the stretch I would get from the straps. There was a lot of stretch as I recall. Not sure if that was from the UHMWPE or Polyester in the blend. As far as using a becket hitch, that idea looks interesting. Would it slip with the UHMWPE straps? I’m not entirely visualizing how you would incorporate the tree straps to the continuous loop. I’ve no real world testing with that knot.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Here’s how it gets tied. It also explains how to add more strength. I’ve never used this modified method but I’m only 175lbs. I’ve been using this with UHMWPE straps for a while with zero slippage. This setup is extremely common today.

https://youtu.be/G1B_0UquZGw

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I don’t know who Becket was, but he is not entitled to name that knot. It is a sheet bend, and it has been a sheet bend for hundreds of years. It is so named because it was the ‘bend’ used to tie a rope to the corner of a sail. (mumble mutter :) )

In fact, it was apparently known in neolithic times. But that is hearsay (of course).

Whether it will always hold on something like Spectra is another matter. I have seen many different knots ‘run’ on Spectra. I would be more willing to trust a double sheet bend I think. From memory, a fishermans knot is not bad, and a double fishermans knot is usually good enough.

Cheers

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

A becket is a thing not a person. Link

I agree that it is basically a slippery sheet bend.

Roger, do you understand the application we are discussing? I can’t think of any way double fisherman’s knot makes any sense in this application, as hammocks typically terminate with a continuous loop (aka a becket) not a free end. You also want something that is easily adjustable, which a fisherman’s knot is not.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Case closed:
    <h2 class=”bNg8Rb”>Description</h2>
    A becket hitch, including the double becket or figure-of-eight becket hitch, is any hitch that is made on an eye loop, i.e. on a becket. A becket hitch has the same structure as the sheet bend, which joins, or “bends”, the ends of two ropes together. The becket hitch, in contrast, fixes a rope to a closed eye or hook.

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Got it, I see how that works now.

Black Magic
    BPL Member

@blackmagic

Warbonnet sells UHMWPE straps which they market as “Dynaweave.” Their strap builder will let you customize the length to whatever you need, as either straps or huggers as you need.

I have found the Dynaweave straps to be slightly easier to use — more rope-like in a knot, and more pliant in my fingers when trying to flatten it out again — than Dutch’s “Spider-Web” straps.

I also like their Fishhooks better than Dutch Clips.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh, that sounds nice. Also, I like their strap builder, very straightforward. I know Dutch will make anything you ask for but it’s nice to be able to order it directly in the shopping cart rather than through notes and emails.

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll probably go with this option when I decide to move forward.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Check out this guy’s stuff. Knots that free you from knots! Nice twist..punny by happenstance.

Jeff Myer’s Hammock Stuff

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for sharing those. Those look like good solutions but more involved than I want. The becket hitch looks like exactly what I’m looking for.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools