Topic

Half quilts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Half quilts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Olivier
    BPL Member

@calimero

Hello,
    Some sleep on their back, others on their side, and some never outgrew the fetal position.
    Has anyone ever made, used, or seen a custom quilt in half length for someone who sleep well in that position and can go an entire night without stretching out?

I’m wondering what kind of weight we’re looking at as well as if it’s working well for you or you regret not going full size.

Cheers,

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I’ve had similar thoughts about contortionists.

Could a contortionist get by with a half length tent as well as a half length sleeping bag?

I couldn’t do it personally.  If I got a leg cramp I’d probably kick a hole through both.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I don’t think people often stay in the same fetal position all night.  Any stretching and your insulation would disappear.

If you want to know the impact, EE sells junior quilts:

https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002179667-Revelation-Junior

a 66″x54″ 30 degF Rev jr with 900 Fill weighs 14.2 oz

a regular weighs 16.5 oz (78″x54″ 30 degF Rev with 900 Fill)

https://support.enlightenedequipment.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002191628-Revelation

of course you may need more width since your bundled up in a ball, x-short/x-wide weighs (66″x64″) 16.4 oz

R
    Spectator

@autox

Not quite the same, but some mountaineers use a half bag.  They come up to mid-torso and are intended to be used w/ a thick puffy jacket.  Filled with down and a 20F – 30F rating, the weigh around 8oz.

You could see how you like this concept by safety pinning 2 old sheets together and spending a night in it in bed.  Maybe you could just fold one sheet up to make a pocket, crawl in and lay on top of the folded edges to keep it together.

Once you get a sense for size, you can estimate weight.  In theory, you should be able to go a bit colder than the standard rating for a given amount of insulation because the fetal position is better for conserving warmth and the bag will have a better surface area to volume ratio.

I don’t think you’ll get as low as half the weight, but 25% – 30% savings seems reasonable.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest
    Olivier
    BPL Member

@calimero

Thank you all, i’ll keep the advises in mind when committing to my first quilt

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’m 5′ 6″ tall and sleep mostly on my side with my knees up a bit and started off with a short quilt that just barely came up to my chin when laying flat on my back. After spending a couple of years with that setup I now have a quilt that barely reaches the top of my head when flat on my back and I’m much, much happier with it.

I used to use a 48X25 pad but now use a 66X20. I’m super happy with that as well.

Even though I’m on my side curled up most of the time it turns out that I am significantly more comfortable with room to stretch out. YMMV.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools