Topic

GSI Pinnacle Stove ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GSI Pinnacle Stove ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Wondering if anyone has used a GSI Pinnacle stove in person. Looks to be the same weight as the Kovea Spider, but appears to pack up much smaller. I’m looking for a remote canister stove – size and weight are my priorities. It’s new, so I’m not finding any info on it. Here’s what it supposedly packs up to:

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

(Edited for brevity)

I haven’t used the Pinnacle, but I do own the Spider, and it packs surprisingly compact, more compactly than my other remote canister stove (FMS-117t). Because all the support legs fold to one side (rather than inward, like the Pinnacle and FMS-117t), it folds flat and leaves more room in my pot for a fuel canister. While I like the weight of the FMS-117t, the Spider is much more packable. You may find the Spider has a similar advantage over the Pinnacle.

An ideal stove might be a combination of the Spider and the Kovea Supalite/Snow Peak Litemax: a titanium remote canister stove with pot supports and legs that fold flat, and a preheat tube for winter use.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

MEC sells it in canada .. if youre canuck simply order it and return it if it doesnt work out

;)

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Yeah, I’m not sure that the GSI Pinnacle Four Season stove is going to be much more compact (if it is at all) given that the Spider really folds down well.

One thing to note about the FMS 117t is that the the FMS 117t canNOT be used with the canister inverted.  The Spider can, and it looks like the GSI Pinnacle (the four season version) can too.  It has the “generator” (aka pre-heat loop) that is required if you want to use the canister upside down for cold weather.

There are some photos of the Spider (if you’re interested) inside an MSR Titan Kettle on my blog:  http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-kovea-spider-kb-1109-remote.html

HJ

Curt Peterson
    BPL Member

@curtpeterson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Thanks, Jim. I got the Spider early in the summer. Used it as my primary stove at altitude and during my fall trips. Great little stove. It doesn’t pack perfect, and it seems a little slow, but I’m happy with it. I really like the stability. In particular, cooking anything that involves some moving around of the pot/pan (frying a fish for example) is a MUCH better experience than doing it on a small diameter sit-on-top.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Yeah, that’s one of the unchronicled benefits of remote canister stoves:  They’re way more stable when you’re flipping pancakes and the like.

The other unsung benefit is that you use a full, 360 degree windscreen with impunity.  Since the fuel sits outside the windscreen, you don’t have to worry about the canister overheating.  I’ve seen guys who didn’t know what they were doing get canisters really scary hot.

Hope the Spider works well for you.

HJ

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools