Topic

Groundsheet advice for Borah Gear Ultralight argon bivy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Groundsheet advice for Borah Gear Ultralight argon bivy

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Gareth A
    BPL Member

@gareth-usa

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Tried Tyvek which turned my setup into a slip and slide. Any UL suggestions? </p>

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I read in another post that Mylar space blankets are not as slippery as polycro, and make a good ground sheet.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The least slippery option I’ve found is the tent floor directly on the ground.  Pretty sure it’s the lightest too!  :^)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Definitely not polycyro. It’s ~237X more slippery than tyvek in my testing. It’s like a slip-n-slide covered in Crisco.

R
    Spectator

@autox

With a 30D floor, +1 to no ground sheet.

But if you must, try putting a few dabs of silicone sealant on the underside of your bivy and letting it dry.  That’ll give you a few grippy spots to keep you from slipping on any ground sheet.  Spread it thin – shouldn’t take much.

Aaron Madsen
    BPL Member

@muleaaron

Locale: Far NorCal

+1 on no groundsheet. Just about anything will slide, the bivy isn’t crazy expensive, and as long as you’re careful about site selection, it will be lighter (obviously), and should last for a while.

Gareth A
    BPL Member

@gareth-usa

<p style=”padding-left: 30px; text-align: left;”>I was considering the silicone dots. As for not using a groundsheet, I just get paranoid about my air pad.</p>
    <p style=”text-align: left; padding-left: 30px;”>Anyone with experience using the SOL survival blanket? Supposed to be a bit more durable than space blankets and not as noisy.</p>

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I agree with no groundsheet almost all the time.

The only time I would use a polycryo groundsheet is if the ground is really mucky… I accidentally discovered that polycryo isn’t nearly as slippery when it is moist.

Otherwise, yes, make sure your site is very, very flat! Much easier to do when it’s bivy only.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

This works well to prevent sliding/provide some protection for an air pad and it weighs about 2.5 ounces. It can be cut shorter, too, if saving those fractions of an ounce are important to you.

https://www.gossamergear.com/products/thinlight-foam-pad

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools