Topic

Grippy Palm Fabric for Overmitts?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Grippy Palm Fabric for Overmitts?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

It’s time to replace the waterproof overmitts I made myself 25 years ago. At the time I covered the palms with a material called Tuffgrip that was a latex? type coating on a fabric backing, similar to all the latex work gloves you see today. It was very durable, waterproof to a good degree, flexible and had great grip. Vastly superior when holding onto a frozen dog sled compared to buckskin chopper mitts. Behind the palm and on the rest of the over mitt was 3 layer Goretex.

I used those mitts for everything from skate skiing to cleaning dog kennels and now they are no longer waterproof to any reasonable standard. I really like the design but need to find some grippy but flexible-at-cold temps palm fabric. It needs to hold stitches well.

Any suggestions?

Bob Chiang
    BPL Member

@bobchiang

I ordered some of this “Slip-not” fabric from Seattle Fabrics, but must admit that I have not sewn the mittens yet.

https://www.seattlefabrics.com/Slip-Not-Grip-Fabric_c_61.html

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Anyone tried coating the palms with silicone or urethane or plastidip or truck bed liner for grip and waterproofness?

Pierre Descoteaux
    BPL Member

@pierre

I tried floable silicone on some OR inner mitts. It didn’t last long! Seam grip would have been my next try but I lost the mitts! OR Firebrand! Darn….

SIMULACRA
    BPL Member

@simulacra

Locale: Puget Sound

Have not tried. Most available urethane coatings I believe would be too brittle. The Plastidip seems like a possible option. I would test it on a scrap piece for adhesion and flex. Truck bed liner? holy crap! maybe. I think those are a polyurea. Can that be thinned? I think in this case you would have too.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools