Topic

Green Mountain National Forest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Green Mountain National Forest

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I’m considering an impromptu getaway to Manchester VT this weekend and I’m not that familiar with the Green Mtn region in terms of access and difficulty level.

Id like to do some day hikes with the kids then return to town to relax. Mileage should be sub 7 miles at a leisurely pace ( fun is the objective, not covering lots of distance). Kids are 11 and pretty capable but like to stop and observe nature.

Are there suitable loop hikes or trails that can be looped back the starting point? Is there parking access etc?

Guidebook recommendation would be helpful too. Just need a starting point for more research. Thanks.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

If the weather is nice, hiking from VT 11 to the top of Bromley and back is a winner…

Bromley Mountain Via The Long Trail

It also lets the kids claim they’ve hiked part of the AT if they haven’t done so already.

Here are a couple of others:  Other Manchester Area Hikes

And Stratton Pond Loop

I know this is a backpacking site, but the other favorite for my twins is to canoe the Battenkill River – I can’t remember who we used the last time, but here’s an option:  Vermont River Runners

Have a great weekend!  It’s truly one of our favorite towns in the country.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools