Topic

great trails Asheville near or not so far from?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning great trails Asheville near or not so far from?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

I have heard nice things about Max Patch and Black Balsam. Any other ones?:)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

So many options.  Roan Highlands is superb hiking. It has long stretches of bald walking with tremendous views.  Grayson Highlands is similar but just a little further.  Linville Gorge is rugged and beautiful. Smokies are close; you can do a nice loop out of Big Creek that goes up to Mt. Sterling and crosses back over to the AT and Mt. Cammerer.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

What time of year?

How many days?

How many miles per day?

Ben has some good suggestions:  Grayson Highlands is top notch hiking and you can put together some nice overnight loops there above 5K feet.    Roan Highlands is nice too, but you need to get a shuttle (Mountain Harbor Hostel and Kincora Hostel)

That loop in the Smokies would be nice too, CS#38 on top of Mt. Sterling is the highest campsite in the park.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Thanks yall. I dont have definite dates, just lining up ideas. What would be some great day hikes with Asheville as base? Max Patch?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Max Patch is fine; its kind of a drive up and look around. There are thousands of fine day hikes: Mt. Mitchell,  Pisgah, Smokies, Transylvania County had a lot of waterfall hikes,  etc.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Mt. Mitchell and the Black Mtn. crest.  The highest ridge east of South Dakota and less than an hour (maybe 30 minutes) from Asheville.  Dayhikes or overnights.

Sebastian O
    BPL Member

@loboseb

Thanks. Thats what Im hoping to learn about: specific recommended hikes. I dont like to decide on the spot without having some idea

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Sebastian here is a link to some trip reports of mine of hikes on the Black Mtns.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools