Topic

Great Range Traverse in ADK, NY

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Great Range Traverse in ADK, NY

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I’m sure someone has hiked the Great Range Traverse through the Daks that can chime in here.. I’m planning on doing it in September, 2020, not as a day trip.. But I would like to make a 2  night trip of it since it is about a 6 hour or so drive for me to get there, and I want to spend some time outside. Anyone with some info?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I recall there’s no camping above 3500 feet, so plan on a really big day when you get up that high.

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

There are a few options depending on how willing you are to descend from the Range trail.  I did it as an overnight loop from Rooster Comb trail head sleeping at the Snow Bird tent site and doing a couple road miles from the Garden trail head to finish.

Depending on when you are arriving and the weather a nice loop would be to start at Rooster Comb trail head and do the couple road miles first to the Garden trail head, hiking up the John’s Brook valley and camp at Slant Rock.  You could then climb Marcy, descend to Panther Gorge (Skylight is worth the side trip on the way) then go up Haystack and take the Range trail to Snowbird tent site.  The next day is a little long finishing the Range and ending at your car but is definitely doable.  This route gives you the benefit of going up Saddleback’s Cliff which is a bit easier.  There are a couple options to descend to campsites between Snowbird and Rooster Comb which will add miles and elevation and you can skip Panther Gorge and do Haystack and Marcy as out and backs.  It is nice to have some options in case you get nasty weather thrown at you.

It is great hike, if you have the option of doing it midweek you can minimize the crowds.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Which map set would you recommend using?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Never mind. I found it on my Nat Geo map #742 Lake placid/ high peaks map.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I’m just impressed that you’re planning this level of detail 10 months in advance.  At this point I’m just trying to block weekends for trips and will fill in the blanks (who & where) later.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

For me, to go to the Harriman or the Catskills, for a night or 2 or 3 does not require much planning as it is not too far a ride,  I know the areas very well, and i go all the time as much as possible.  My annual October trips, however.. i like to plan way in advance for numerous reasons.  For starters,  i like to put it in calendar  at work and at home so there is no discrepancy.  I am married with 3 kids.. and at work there are others who plan their vacations in advance. I also like to prepare way in advance for trips in areas i have never been.. finding someone to join me, other then my son, is also a challenge so there is a possibility i will be going solo. If my son joins me, he is 13, so a huge responsibility for me to make sure he is safe.  So yeah,  i want to make sure it happens and by planning ahead like this, i figure it all out and the first week of January i fill in the dates on home and work calendar and I have no issues.  The rest of the year, my trips are easily  accomplished and wont require as much preparation and planning.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Add to that.. my spring, summer and fall whitewater kayaking  trips  .. its one less thing i will have to worry about planning.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@ Gerry V. I like that route you mentioned.  I could probably ride my bike from where i would park to the other trailhead? Correct? Instead of walking the road..

Gerry V
    BPL Member

@gvulpes

I don’t see why you couldn’t ride your bike.  It is 1.9 miles from trail head to trail head.  I use Nat Geo as well though I hear the ADK has a nice map of the high peaks as well.

The only problem with the route I suggested is the long day at the end.  If weather looks bad at the end of your trip I would start at Rooster Comb and do the big day first.  You could also push on to Panther Gorge for night one and then suck it up and descend .9 to the Wolfjaw lean to night two.  I haven’t done the math comparing the mileage but it is worth keeping in mind.  Snowbird tent site is not well marked on the map but it is the only legal site on the Range trail.  It is in the col between Haystack and Basin close to the Haystack Brook trail junction.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

So I dug thru my drawers of books and maps and I found the ADK hi peaks guide book, which has a nice map in the back pocket. That map, paired with the Nat Geo map, should give me all the detail needed , along with your advice also, Gerry. Thanks again for the info, advice and help. I’ve got plenty of time ahead of me but now I am that much closer to having a plan and now I can start to do map checks and mileage checks and see what is ahead. Obviously, as it gets closer to the dates I want to do it, weather will also play a huge factor.. As will my company.. Thanks again..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools