Topic

Great horned owl going for a gray fox

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Great horned owl going for a gray fox

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

The owl posing for the trailcam

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

So Kat, the take-away here is that foxes don’t look up and though they can detect mouse-noise under the snow, not so with owl-noise up above.
    Incredible postings! Thanks for sharing!

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Wow, what a cool action shot.  I always wonder how an owl would handle a large animal like a fox if it got one.  It would be quite a fight in the air.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Cool

The owl must have noticed the trail camera and investigated it

or they offered the owl a mouse if he’d pose : )

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Amazing footage! I’m sort of surprised that the owl missed. Maybe it has to be more cautious with large prey that can fight back.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

One night a great horned owl tried to take out my cat, right in front of me. I wondered just how it could lift off, as the cat was the same size as the owl. But apparently they can do it. A fox, maybe not. But I couldn’t believe how silent the owl was during his approach, and also when it lifted off after seeing me The other thing I couldn’t believe was how the owl swiveled its head 180 degrees to see where I was. I can’t do that. Beautiful animals, they are…

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

Kat, you have outdone yourself with this one.  This may have me looking up a bit when I nighthike.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Steofan thanks. That is good insight. Their ears don’t seem designed  to hear what comes from above, at least not when at rest.

Thanks Ben and Jeffrey!

@Gary
    I knew they did it because after I saw one swoop down on a fox in front of my car I read about it and they do indeed catch and eat foxes. These are little grays btw,  not much bigger than a house cat.

Malto…thank you

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Locale: NorCal

Awesome video!

Rodney Ackerman
    BPL Member

@uncleair

Locale: Great Lakes

Agreed, another great video, thanks!

About the fox not hearing. I saw a film not so long ago that explained how owls fly quietly. It was fascinating. (Perhaps it was on PBS?) If I am not mistaken, almost silently. I would say with the excellent hearing the fox possesses it is as close to silent as could be.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

I had a Goshawk that kept hitting me in the head and knocking my hat off, must have been protecting it’s young.

Even when I was listening for it I couldn’t hear it.  And it chose a path where it approached from behind a tree and it wasn’t until the last moment that it appeared around a corner.  And knocked my hat off.

I finally just held a branch up over my head for protection.

Amazing how quiet birds can fly when they want to.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Rodney and Kate.  I would love to watch that film about owl’s in flight. One thing I did not mention is that I have several videos of foxes in this location where when we ( and they) hear a hooting owl in the distance they definitively pay attention and look alerted.

Jerry, Goshawks are amazing. The most beautiful flight I have ever seen was a slow motion of a Goshawk flying through a forest and making a turn around a tree trunk, using it’s talons to negotiate the turn and push itself off. It affected me in ways I can’t put into words. If I can find it I will post it but it was a few second of an 4 minute video…

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Here it is! So well worth watching, the entire thing. What I mentioned starts at 2:45

https://youtu.be/FbnPxoSANd0

The hunting…. is sad and awesome at the same time..

ps. Home recovering from another surgery and watching this kind of stuff is a treat

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

wow!  That is some amazing video.  I wonder how long it took them to get all that.  And how did they do it all????

Yeah, it is sad.  I kind of prefer the videos where the prey gets away : )  Except then the predator goes hungry which is bad for it.  They didn’t show anything gory though, that’s what bothers me.  I have sen video where they intentionally shown the gory parts.

Which could take us to the thread about whether we should eat meat.

The guy behind me didn’t fare so well:

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I saw that doc about owl flight. It was amazing. The sound guys were giddy because their high end precision mics couldn’t pick up an owl flying right over it.

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

Here’s the relevant clip from the documentary Rodney and Jeff mentioned:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/owl-power-owl-shows-silent-flight-superpower/11608/

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Another great series of videos Kat!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools