Topic

Grayl thoughts/opinions?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Grayl thoughts/opinions?

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by J C.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe Medlin
    BPL Member

@kc_joe

I just recently came across Grayl and for under 11 ounces to get a high quality filter/purifier and cup feels like a decent option. Was wondering what others think and why I don’t see much about this product on these forums?

Jeff Patrick
    BPL Member

@callmeammo

The grayl is probably double or close to double most peoples filter weights. you can get a sawyer squeeze and 2 litre bottles for 6 ounces.

Joe Medlin
    BPL Member

@kc_joe

I agree although I’m not sure that the sawyers purify. Not sure how many ounces that added benefit was in addition to the simplicity of not having to manage multiple ‘parts’ and the manual effort of squeezing out your water.  I’m not out trying to sell these things (don’t even own one myself and I currently use the method you described above) but simplicity and time savings have to have some value.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

Pretty awesome invention, but maybe not for most backpackers. You can get a similar (claimed) flow rate from many lighter filters, which take care of all bacteria and cysts. Of course these don’t do viruses or chemicals, but there aren’t many of those where most of us hike anyway. But really amazing flow-rate for a virus filter.

That said, I can definitely see a use for this for people who do travel to virus or pollution prone areas. And 300g is really not much. Then again it only holds 2 cups so you’d need to use several times to replenish a day’s water supply.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools